Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > PSTN to VOIP

PSTN to VOIP

Ivor Jones

On 27/09/09 13:25, Dave wrote:

> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

>> My Fritz 7170 will divert PSTN to VoIP and vice versa. Never needed to
>> use it though so no idea how well it works.
>>
>> Ivor
>>

> Is that box 'better' than a Draytek 2600VG Ivor ?

As I don't know the Draytek I can't really say, but it works well. It
has 3 FXS ports, 1 FXO port, 4 LAN ports and an ISDN port, as well as a
USB host port (only 1.1 though unfortunately) plus wireless, so it's
quite well equipped.

I wrote a review of it here, if you're interested:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox...?reviews_id=10

Ivor

R Johnson

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:33:15 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

> On 27/09/09 13:25, Dave wrote:
>>

>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [snip]
>
>>> My Fritz 7170 will divert PSTN to VoIP and vice versa. Never needed to
>>> use it though so no idea how well it works.
>>>
>>> Ivor
>>>

>> Is that box 'better' than a Draytek 2600VG Ivor ?

> As I don't know the Draytek I can't really say, but it works well. It
> has 3 FXS ports, 1 FXO port, 4 LAN ports and an ISDN port, as well as a
> USB host port (only 1.1 though unfortunately) plus wireless, so it's
> quite well equipped.
>
> I wrote a review of it here, if you're interested:
>

> http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox...-pri-560.html?

reviews_id=10

> Ivor

I have found the firmware on the Draytek 2600v to be flaky as far as VoIP
is concerned (and in other places). It's at the point where it works, but
I don't trust it. Specifically, despite entering the details for SIP
accounts over and over, they refused to register. I checked and checked
settings, in the end I rebooted the router and they registered. I'm sure
the thing has a will of it's own. Randomly I'll get an email to tell me I
have voicemail, which is pretty good considering the phone has never even
rung. Never had this kind of agro with my PAP2, but alas I sold that like
a fool

Steve Hayes

Jono wrote:

> R Johnson explained :
>> A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
>> Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple

PSTN
>> to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?
>>
>> I think I've answered my own question, but it's worth asking.

> Fritz!Box
> Linksys/Sipura SPA3102

I use an SPA3102 for this. It does work but the echoes on forwarded
calls are truly diabolical - even worse than the totally unnecessary
echoes on FXO-FXS calls. I tried all the setting tweaks I could find
(including after googling) and none of them made much difference.

I'd be interested to know if the Fritzen suffer the same way and, even
more, if the Draytek 2820 can do this.
--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK
----Remove colours from reply address----

David Knell

Sign up at http://www.ukddi.com, and port you number over
for a tenner with no ongoing per-month, per-minute or per-
channel costs.

Disclaimer: I set this up.

--Dave

R Johnson

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:56:24 -0700, David Knell wrote:

> Sign up at http://www.ukddi.com, and port you number over for a tenner
> with no ongoing per-month, per-minute or per- channel costs.
>
> Disclaimer: I set this up.
>
> --Dave

Err no. Not until hell freezes over. I'll retain control of it thanks.

Gordon Henderson

In article <4ac04285$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)>,
R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have found the firmware on the Draytek 2600v to be flaky as far as VoIP
>is concerned (and in other places). It's at the point where it works, but
>I don't trust it. Specifically, despite entering the details for SIP
>accounts over and over, they refused to register. I checked and checked
>settings, in the end I rebooted the router and they registered. I'm sure
>the thing has a will of it's own. Randomly I'll get an email to tell me I
>have voicemail, which is pretty good considering the phone has never even
>rung. Never had this kind of agro with my PAP2, but alas I sold that like
>a fool

Never seen that issue with the 2600v's I've used - have seen other issues
- NAT in particular though. Do you have the latest firmware in it?

Gordon

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Dave <@me.com> wrote:

>My problem is that I have a Asterisk box and can't use the built-in ATA's as
>they 'take over' port 5060 inbound so nothing can login from outside, set
>the port to '0' and everything is ok apart from the ATA's obviously don't
>work !. Ivor can you use the ATA's on the Fritz if you have a Asterisk box
>that is ?

I've seen the same issue with a Fritz box, but I didn't have a chance
to fully experiment (on a customers site at the time - I just used IAX
to get their trunk working rather than fiddle with their Fritz box)

I don't thnink Drayteks will SIP register on the internal LAN either,
so even trying to use their ATAs on a different port might not work -
might have a change to try that this weekend though - my own setup sits
in the DMZ and the Draytek 2600v seems to pass the wife test...

Gordon

R Johnson

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:54:13 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <4ac04285$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have found the firmware on the Draytek 2600v to be flaky as far as
>>VoIP is concerned (and in other places). It's at the point where it
>>works, but I don't trust it. Specifically, despite entering the details
>>for SIP accounts over and over, they refused to register. I checked and
>>checked settings, in the end I rebooted the router and they registered.
>>I'm sure the thing has a will of it's own. Randomly I'll get an email to
>>tell me I have voicemail, which is pretty good considering the phone has
>>never even rung. Never had this kind of agro with my PAP2, but alas I
>>sold that like a fool

> Never seen that issue with the 2600v's I've used - have seen other
> issues - NAT in particular though. Do you have the latest firmware in
> it?
>
> Gordon

The thing is just generally slow, the web interface looks like something
a small child did with some crayons - and it's all a bit flaky.

I suspect the firmware is 'old' but updating it is a bit of nightmare.

Model Name : Vigor2800 series
Firmware Version : 2.8.2
Build Date/Time : Tue Jun 3 15:26:55.35 2008
ADSL Firmware Version : E.38.2.23 Annex A

Bodincus

Dave:

> "R Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4ac04285$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> [snip]

>>> As I don't know the Draytek I can't really say, but it works well. It
>>> has 3 FXS ports, 1 FXO port, 4 LAN ports and an ISDN port, as well as a
>>> USB host port (only 1.1 though unfortunately) plus wireless, so it's
>>> quite well equipped.
>>>
>>> I wrote a review of it here, if you're interested:
>>>

>>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox...-pri-560.html?

>> reviews_id=10
>>>

>>> Ivor

>> I have found the firmware on the Draytek 2600v to be flaky as far as VoIP
>> is concerned (and in other places). It's at the point where it works, but
>> I don't trust it. Specifically, despite entering the details for SIP
>> accounts over and over, they refused to register. I checked and checked
>> settings, in the end I rebooted the router and they registered. I'm sure
>> the thing has a will of it's own. Randomly I'll get an email to tell me I
>> have voicemail, which is pretty good considering the phone has never even
>> rung. Never had this kind of agro with my PAP2, but alas I sold that like
>> a fool

> My problem is that I have a Asterisk box and can't use the built-in
> ATA's as they 'take over' port 5060 inbound so nothing can login from
> outside, set the port to '0' and everything is ok apart from the ATA's
> obviously don't work !. Ivor can you use the ATA's on the Fritz if you
> have a Asterisk box that is ?
> Dave.

You can change the SIP port the Fritz works with.

Settings - Telephony - Internet telephony - Advanced Settings.

Tick "Configuring an alternative "source port" for Internet telephony",
set it to 5062 and you're OK.

The RTP ports (the audio stream) on Fritzes are from 7078 to 7110 UDP,
set your * box to use other UDP ports for RTP and Bob's your uncle.

A standard * install uses UDP 10000 to 20000 for RTP
(/etc/asterisk/rtp.conf) so you should be OK with that.

If the Fritz is your router you don't have anything else to do, if you
have a separate router remember to forward port 5060 and 10000-20000 UDP
to your * box, and 5062 and 7078-7110 UDP to your Fritz.

Please report success / failure.

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------

Gordon Henderson

In article <4ac7a230$0$2528$(E-Mail Removed)>,
R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:54:13 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> In article <4ac04285$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have found the firmware on the Draytek 2600v to be flaky as far as
>>>VoIP is concerned (and in other places). It's at the point where it
>>>works, but I don't trust it. Specifically, despite entering the details
>>>for SIP accounts over and over, they refused to register. I checked and
>>>checked settings, in the end I rebooted the router and they registered.
>>>I'm sure the thing has a will of it's own. Randomly I'll get an email to
>>>tell me I have voicemail, which is pretty good considering the phone has
>>>never even rung. Never had this kind of agro with my PAP2, but alas I
>>>sold that like a fool

>> Never seen that issue with the 2600v's I've used - have seen other
>> issues - NAT in particular though. Do you have the latest firmware in
>> it?
>>
>> Gordon

>The thing is just generally slow, the web interface looks like something
>a small child did with some crayons - and it's all a bit flaky.
>
>I suspect the firmware is 'old' but updating it is a bit of nightmare.
>
>Model Name : Vigor2800 series
>Firmware Version : 2.8.2
>Build Date/Time : Tue Jun 3 15:26:55.35 2008
>ADSL Firmware Version : E.38.2.23 Annex A

Ah, you said a 2600v yet the model name is 2800 series...

I've never found their web interface to be slow at all - yes, I'm sure
it could look better, but I don't care about that - it's functional...

Almost sounds like there is actually a fault in it...

Gordon