Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux 2009: "bloated, huge, and scary"

Linux 2009: "bloated, huge, and scary"

impossible

Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
"community":

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832

"Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention that
Linux has become bloated....

"So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating system
have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course of
business to add features?

"However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his bloat
warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things: It's
hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."

And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:

"Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

thingy

On Sep 25, 11:38*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
> "community":
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
>
> "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention that
> Linux has become bloated....
>
> "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating system
> have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course of
> business to add features?
>
> "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his bloat
> warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
> actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things: It's
> hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
>
> And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
>
> "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

God you are a moron...

regards

thing

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sep 25, 11:38 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
> >"community":
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
>>
>> "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention
>> that
>> Linux has become bloated....
>>
>> "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating
>> system
>> have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course
>> of
>> business to add features?
>>
>> "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his
>> bloat
>> warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
>> actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things:
>> It's
>> hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
>>
>> And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
>>
>> "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

> God you are a moron...

Another penetrating analysis brought to you by thing-thingy-thing2. <yawn>

Gordon

On 2009-09-25, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
> "community":
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
>
> "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention that
> Linux has become bloated....
>
> "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating system
> have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course of
> business to add features?
>
> "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his bloat
> warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
> actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things: It's
> hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
>
> And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
>
> "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

FFS, Linux is like life on this Planet. It is varied. Bloated you say. I say
grab what source you require and build what you *need/want*.

impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-09-25, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
>> "community":
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
>>
>> "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention
>> that
>> Linux has become bloated....
>>
>> "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating
>> system
>> have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course
>> of
>> business to add features?
>>
>> "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his
>> bloat
>> warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
>> actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things:
>> It's
>> hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
>>
>> And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
>>
>> "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"
>>

> FFS, Linux is like life on this Planet. It is varied. Bloated you say. I
> say
> grab what source you require and build what you *need/want*.

Circle ther wagons, fanboys. Critical comments from Linus Torvald are
dangerous to your health.