Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Program to show what's attached to network switches cammer.pl ->cammer_c.pl

Program to show what's attached to network switches cammer.pl ->cammer_c.pl

James Harris

In case someone else finds this useful here is a Perl program to
report on the devices attached to network switches. It was derived
from Tobias Oetiker's cammer and has added further information about
each device.

http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/cammer_c.pl

To use it you need to know SNMP read-permission community strings for
your routers and switches.

A couple of years ago the program was used extensively to gather
information on devices connected to a Cisco network so I'm including a
Cisco group in the distribution. I'm not in a position to do further
work on the program at present but as long as the interface to the
SNMP support libraries has not changed it should still work just as it
did before.

The web page explains what it does and gives full details on how to
set it up.

James

Simon Leinen

James Harris writes:
> http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/cammer_c.pl

Thanks for putting this up! Did you send your improvements to Tobi?

> [...] I'm not in a position to do further work on the program at
> present but as long as the interface to the SNMP support libraries has
> not changed it should still work just as it did before.

The Perl SNMP support libraries (which I'm responsible for) are supposed
to have stable interfaces; they were extended over the years, but I
always tried to make sure that existing legal uses would continue to
function as usual. If anyone notices problems in this area, they are
welcome to file a bug, ideally by opening an issue in the tracker under

http://code.google.com/p/snmp-session/
--
Simon.

James Harris

On 25 Sep, 15:39, Simon Leinen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> James Harris writes:

> > *http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/cammer_c.pl

> Thanks for putting this up! Did you send your improvements to Tobi?

We were in touch about it. Tobias felt too much had changed to merge
them. Of course the original had also moved on by that time. He did
give permission, though, for this version to be forked.

> > [...] I'm not in a position to do further work on the program at
> > present but as long as the interface to the SNMP support libraries has
> > not changed it should still work just as it did before.

> The Perl SNMP support libraries (which I'm responsible for) are supposed
> to have stable interfaces; they were extended over the years, but I
> always tried to make sure that existing legal uses would continue to
> function as usual. *If anyone notices problems in this area, they are
> welcome to file a bug, ideally by opening an issue in the tracker under
>
> http://code.google.com/p/snmp-session/

I only learned enough Perl to make the changes we needed and I put off
announcing the program for over a year in case someone had issues
using it that I couldn't help with. So it's good to know the post got
through to the person responsible for those libraries - and, in fact,
that they are maintained. At least someone here knows what's going on!

James