Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win will we have an OS JUST for netbooks?

Win will we have an OS JUST for netbooks?

Gordon

Andy wrote:

> Not that it helps you much now, but I installed ubuntu 9.04 on this
> laptop (Lenovo G550) that has a Broadcom 4312 wireless card - it worked
> straight away, just using the default Network Manager (nm-applet) and
> driver built in to the OS.
>
> Andy.

Same experience here on a Toshiba L40 Satellite that originally had
Vista on it...Interestingly, I'm now running dual boot Windows 7 and
Kubuntu 9.04 and the Win 7 install did nexactly the same thing - no need
for third party wireless drivers, so maybe MS has taken a leaf out of
Ubuntu's book?

hwf

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:16:57 -0400, Meat Plow pinched out a steaming pile
of:

> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:31:45 +0000 (UTC), ???hw??f
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

>>> No it's not.

>>Yes actually it was for me
>>Xp came with the driver for the broadcom43xx wifi card already.
>>automagically detected and installed it.
>>I ****ed with 5 different linux distros before finding that tinyME would
>>set it up-easy peasy.
>>The issue with tinyME? Adding a prrinter with apt-get caused X to crash.
>>Tried Simply Mepis, wifi worked, no media player would work with shoutcast.
>>Suse 10.2, serial mouse? What serial mouse? wifi? Uh...nope.
>>Mepis 7, broadcom works *IF* you do iwconfig eth0 <essid> as root of
>>course.
>>So dont tellme wifi is teh easy under linux,bro.
>>

> Broadcom 43xx has been rough to configure for a while in OLDER
> distros. I used an NDIS wrapper and XP drivers when I first started
> ****ing around with Mepis in 2005 because there was no linux module
> for it.

Thats what they're still doing basicly with the bcmfw_cutter tool.
It strips the XP .sys file and makes it usable for Ndiswrapper.
Really. Here I am six-seven years on and I thought getting RH8 to run well
was a bitch. Linux: still not ready. The tinyME looked so promising too.
Until I used apt to install the CUPS package and it ****ed everything up
completely.

^_^

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

Dan C

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:02:35 +0000, §ñühwø£f wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:16:57 -0400, Meat Plow pinched out a steaming
> pile of:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:31:45 +0000 (UTC), ???hw??f
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:05:59 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile
>>>of:

>>>Yes actually it was for me
>>>Xp came with the driver for the broadcom43xx wifi card already.
>>>automagically detected and installed it. I ****ed with 5 different
>>>linux distros before finding that tinyME would set it up-easy peasy.
>>>The issue with tinyME? Adding a prrinter with apt-get caused X to
>>>crash. Tried Simply Mepis, wifi worked, no media player would work with
>>>shoutcast. Suse 10.2, serial mouse? What serial mouse? wifi? Uh...nope.
>>>Mepis 7, broadcom works *IF* you do iwconfig eth0 <essid> as root of
>>>course.
>>>So dont tellme wifi is teh easy under linux,bro.
>>>

>> Broadcom 43xx has been rough to configure for a while in OLDER distros.
>> I used an NDIS wrapper and XP drivers when I first started ****ing
>> around with Mepis in 2005 because there was no linux module for it.

> Thats what they're still doing basicly with the bcmfw_cutter tool. It
> strips the XP .sys file and makes it usable for Ndiswrapper. Really.
> Here I am six-seven years on and I thought getting RH8 to run well was a
> bitch. Linux: still not ready. The tinyME looked so promising too. Until
> I used apt to install the CUPS package and it ****ed everything up
> completely.
>
> ^_^

n00b.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Meat Plow wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:02:35 +0000 (UTC), ???hw??f
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:16:57 -0400, Meat Plow pinched out a steaming pile
> >of:

> of:

> shoutcast.
> >>>

> >> Broadcom 43xx has been rough to configure for a while in OLDER
> >> distros. I used an NDIS wrapper and XP drivers when I first started
> >> ****ing around with Mepis in 2005 because there was no linux module
> >> for it.

> >Thats what they're still doing basicly with the bcmfw_cutter tool.
> >It strips the XP .sys file and makes it usable for Ndiswrapper.
> >Really. Here I am six-seven years on and I thought getting RH8 to run well
> >was a bitch. Linux: still not ready. The tinyME looked so promising too.
> >Until I used apt to install the CUPS package and it ****ed everything up
> >completely.

> Apt can **** **** up dood. Really have to rely on tested packages, and
> the sequences of the packages and all their dependencies. If a packer
> whips up a package and doesn't consider a zillion different things it
> can break **** in a hurry. You are really better off compiling source
> and making then installing what you have made. It will have compiled
> on your system and be made custom for what libs you have
> and is less likely to break other stuff.

Compiling? Make?
d00d, thats crazy talk.

^_^

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

hwf

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:05:38 -0400, Meat Plow pinched out a steaming pile
of:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:32:50 -0600, ???hw??f
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Meat Plow wrote:

>>> of:

>>> shoutcast.

>>> Apt can **** **** up dood. Really have to rely on tested packages, and
>>> the sequences of the packages and all their dependencies. If a packer
>>> whips up a package and doesn't consider a zillion different things it
>>> can break **** in a hurry. You are really better off compiling source
>>> and making then installing what you have made. It will have compiled
>>> on your system and be made custom for what libs you have
>>> and is less likely to break other stuff.

>>Compiling? Make?
>>d00d, thats crazy talk.
>>

> Once you get the libs needed to create your own apps outta source it's
> actually pretty easy.

Downloading tinyXP is easy. Linux from scRatch is hard.
The amount of hand holding necessary would require a class for a semester
in my case.

http://ltsaloon.org
http://www.ramusa.org/
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Meat Plow wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:27:01 +0000 (UTC), ???hw??f
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:05:38 -0400, Meat Plow pinched out a steaming pile
> >of:

> pile

> pile

> would

> crash.

> of

> well

> too.

> up

> >> Once you get the libs needed to create your own apps outta source it's
> >> actually pretty easy.

> >Downloading tinyXP is easy. Linux from scRatch is hard.
> >The amount of hand holding necessary would require a class for a semester
> >in my case.

> I was running some multimedia tools that were not available except for
> source. That's when I learned about borked libs in busted compile and
> make tools that the packers ****ed up builds in. Guess they didn't
> take Ubuntu too seriously as a builder/developer platform.

Suprised you didnt use the Apple version of whatever it was.
Seems to be the default platform for MM.

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Meat Plow wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:24:34 -0600, ???hw??f
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
> >In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Meat Plow wrote:

> pile

> steaming
> >> pile

> >> pile

> tinyME
> >> would
> >> crash.

> root
> >> of

> started

> module

> run
> >> well
> >> too.

> everything
> >> up

> and

> packer

> it

> source

> semester
> >>
> >> I was running some multimedia tools that were not available except for
> >> source. That's when I learned about borked libs in busted compile and
> >> make tools that the packers ****ed up builds in. Guess they didn't
> >> take Ubuntu too seriously as a builder/developer platform.

> >Suprised you didnt use the Apple version of whatever it was.
> >Seems to be the default platform for MM.

> Wellp lunix in general is just not ready for what I wanted it to do.
> Maybe in a proprietary distro embedded with specific higher end
> recording and mixing devices like the Mackie DB8 which is now
> obsolete.
>
> As far as Apple goes I don't have the hardware. I did however decide
> on a couple applications that originated on Mac and now have been
> ported off to Windoze one being Pro Tools and the other the Sony suite
> of Sound Forge and Vegas Pro. They integrate nicely with Waves and
> Antares direct-x plug-ins. and provide DAW MMC for our production
> gear.

No linux alternative?
Hmmmmmmmmm....
http://ardour.org/