Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win will we have an OS JUST for netbooks?

Win will we have an OS JUST for netbooks?

hwf

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:17:53 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile of:

> Dan C wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, me wrote:
>>
>>> Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have an OS designed
>>> specifically for bet books?

>> We already do.
>>
>> Free hint: It's not Windows.
>>
>> It's better, and it's free.
>>

> I've told him that already!

XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.
That said, I prefer linux.

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

me@privacy.net

Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We already do.
>
>Free hint: It's not Windows.
>
>It's better, and it's free.

I wasn't aware of Ubuntu for net books but am now!

What I envision is a tablet type netbook with an OS
that would allow you to just turn it off/on without ANY
booting or coming out of hibernation.... and an OS that
will allow that. Plus an OS designed for the small
screen of my Dell Mini 9

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Please don't multi-post. I just saw your identical question in
alt.os.linux.ubuntu .. cross-post to relevant newsgroups instead, if you
must.

> I wasn't aware of Ubuntu for net books but am now!
>
> What I envision is a tablet type netbook with an OS that would allow
> you to just turn it off/on without ANY booting or coming out of
> hibernation....

I cannot think of any OS that will "just be running." It/they *have* to
boot up from a power-off situation. Hibernation is something else; the
OS is still running (power is still on). But it will still require a bit
of time to resurrect what you were doing at the time.

Car analogy: when you step into your car in the morning, you wouldn't
expect it would already be running, would you?

> and an OS that will allow that. Plus an OS designed for the small
> screen of my Dell Mini 9

Most Ubuntus will handle a myriad of screen resolutions.

--
-bts

Gordon

§ñühwø£f wrote:

> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

No it's not.

Dan C

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:33:09 +0000, §ñühwø£f wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:17:53 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile
> of:
>
>> Dan C wrote:

>>> We already do.
>>>
>>> Free hint: It's not Windows.
>>>
>>> It's better, and it's free.
>>>

>> I've told him that already!

> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

Hogwash.

Well....., it depends on the hardware. A little research prior to buying
prevents problems.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I cannot think of any OS that will "just be running." It/they *have* to
> boot up from a power-off situation.

The Commodore 64's OS was instantly ready when switched on. All one had to
do after that was load an app, no different to loading an app on Windows or
Linux. Oh, for those good old days again. <sigh>.

Oh, and the Psion series of palmtop computers were instantly on, too.

> Hibernation is something else; the OS is still running (power is still
> on).

No, that's Standby. With Hibernation, the power is off until turned on
again,
and then the memory contents of the PC are reloaded.

> Car analogy: when you step into your car in the morning, you wouldn't
> expect it would already be running, would you?

Of course not. But the analogy is flawed because the two devices are
entirely
different, and PCs can be instantly on if desired (as proven above). It's
just
that nobody at Microsoft or Linux will make them work that way. Commodore
and
Psion did it, so why not Microsoft and Linux? Laziness and lack of
initiative.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

a wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote
>> I cannot think of any OS that will "just be running." It/they *have*
>> to boot up from a power-off situation.

> The Commodore 64's OS was instantly ready when switched on. All one
> had to do after that was load an app, no different to loading an app
> on Windows or Linux. Oh, for those good old days again. <sigh>.

Ok, I should have stated "current" computers. Laptops, desktops, etc.

> Oh, and the Psion series of palmtop computers were instantly on, too.

Well, ok...

>> Hibernation is something else; the OS is still running (power is
>> still on).

> No, that's Standby. With Hibernation, the power is off until turned
> on again, and then the memory contents of the PC are reloaded.

My error in terminology.

--
-bts

hwf

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:05:59 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile of:

> §ñühwø£f wrote:
>

>> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

> No it's not.

Yes actually it was for me
Xp came with the driver for the broadcom43xx wifi card already.
automagically detected and installed it.
I ****ed with 5 different linux distros before finding that tinyME would
set it up-easy peasy.
The issue with tinyME? Adding a prrinter with apt-get caused X to crash.
Tried Simply Mepis, wifi worked, no media player would work with shoutcast.
Suse 10.2, serial mouse? What serial mouse? wifi? Uh...nope.
Mepis 7, broadcom works *IF* you do iwconfig eth0 <essid> as root of
course.
So dont tellme wifi is teh easy under linux,bro.

^_^

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

hwf

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:25:00 +0000, Dan C pinched out a steaming pile of:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:33:09 +0000, §ñühwø£f wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:17:53 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile
>> of:

>>> I've told him that already!

>> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

> Hogwash.
>
> Well....., it depends on the hardware. A little research prior to buying
> prevents problems.

You know, its not like I never tried this before.
Thats why I have the ahteros based pcmcia card as a backup.
But I do like to get the stock hardware working if possible.

^_^

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

Andy

hwf wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:05:59 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile of:
>
>> hwf wrote:
>>

>>> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

>> No it's not.

> Yes actually it was for me
> Xp came with the driver for the broadcom43xx wifi card already.
> automagically detected and installed it.
> I ****ed with 5 different linux distros before finding that tinyME would
> set it up-easy peasy.
> The issue with tinyME? Adding a prrinter with apt-get caused X to crash.
> Tried Simply Mepis, wifi worked, no media player would work with shoutcast.
> Suse 10.2, serial mouse? What serial mouse? wifi? Uh...nope.
> Mepis 7, broadcom works *IF* you do iwconfig eth0 <essid> as root of
> course.
> So dont tellme wifi is teh easy under linux,bro.

Interesting.

Not that it helps you much now, but I installed ubuntu 9.04 on this
laptop (Lenovo G550) that has a Broadcom 4312 wireless card - it worked
straight away, just using the default Network Manager (nm-applet) and
driver built in to the OS.

Andy.

--
Registered Linux User #478766