Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cant copy 9Gb file to USB hard drive (450Gb).

Cant copy 9Gb file to USB hard drive (450Gb).

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.

Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

Mike Easter

Posted to 24hshd only

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Cant copy 9Gb file to USB hard drive (450Gb).

<crossposting GGer who starts the message question in the subject
instead of creating an unambiguous complete sentences message body first
and then giving the proper message a brief subject title>

> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>
> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

You could use an archiver to chop the 9G file into much smaller pieces,
copy them, and then put it/them back together on the other side.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Subject: Cant copy 9Gb file to USB hard drive (450Gb).

>> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>>
>> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

You could enable 48 bit LBA http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303013
How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk
drives in Windows XP

--
Mike Easter

Peter Foldes

The only idea that jumps to me at present is this below

http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm

--
Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>
> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

Tony

Long file name? Zip or raring the file will allow it to be copied.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>
> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 02:28:11 -0700 (PDT), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>
> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

Please help us to help you. What does "says" mean? If you get an error
message, please quote it verbatim.

For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Mike Easter

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

> For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
> http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

dts-l link update

http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm Making Good Newsgroup
Posts -- "Desktop Systems" is a collaboration of more than 40 current
and former Microsoft MVPs. The group works together daily on all kinds
of computer problems using a list server.

--
Mike Easter

Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:54:34 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>
> > For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
> > http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

> dts-l link update
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm Making Good Newsgroup
> Posts -- "Desktop Systems" is a collaboration of more than 40 current
> and former Microsoft MVPs. The group works together daily on all kinds
> of computer problems using a list server.

Thanks for the update. I've corrected my saved standard message.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

db

9 gb file??

pretty big file.

perhaps, you might try zipping
it first,

then if it transfers over to the
external drive,

unzipp it.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>
> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

Hodges

On Sep 24, 5:28*am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
>
> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

Try using WinRAR to split it into 1GB files and create a self-
extracting RAR. Kind of odd that NTFS would have a problem though.