Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Image Processing in VHDL

Image Processing in VHDL

moganesh moganesh is offline
Junior Member

I am currently doing a project about image processing. The image processing is i would like to perform is binarization and filtering. I want to create a RTL design for this. I know how to do the Control Unit. But having difficulties in datapath design.. I would like to know how to input an image in datapath unit. The image should be in what format? Lets say the image is in jpg or bmp should i convert it first? and can i use the two formats i mentioned to proceed with binarization and filtering? Please guide me... Thank you..

vgs vgs is offline
Junior Member

To load an image in fpga,first process that image in MATLAB and obtain the RGB values using the function "imread". Then create a new file with .coe extension and store these RGB values in that file(using MATLAB itself). Generate a memory core in the fpga through which you can download this file into FPGA. From the core you can retrieve the image and display it using the VGA port.
Can u please help me how to perform the image processing like edge detection and all using VHDL?

Rohan Kandalkar Rohan Kandalkar is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgs View Post
To load an image in fpga,first process that image in MATLAB and obtain the RGB values using the function "imread". Then create a new file with .coe extension and store these RGB values in that file(using MATLAB itself). Generate a memory core in the fpga through which you can download this file into FPGA. From the core you can retrieve the image and display it using the VGA port.
Can u please help me how to perform the image processing like edge detection and all using VHDL?
can u tell me the procedure to generate memory core in fpga....means u mean to say create a ROM with the help of vhdl coding.

Rohan Kandalkar Rohan Kandalkar is offline
Junior Member

HI....i want to binarization of image with the help of vhdl coding...can u suggest me the possible way to do that....plz reply fast as soon as possible.....thank you