Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sharing a printer between a machine running Windows Vista and WindowsXP

sharing a printer between a machine running Windows Vista and WindowsXP

I want to share a HP Deskjet printer which is locally connected to the
machine running Windows Vista to another computer running Windows XP
through the network.

I do as mentioned on http://www.home-network-help.com/vis...r-sharing.html

At the third step on the link when I click on "Turn on Printer
Sharing" and click the Apply button, it does not work. It reverts to
the "Turn Off Printer Sharing"

I do not have administrator privileges on that machine which I suspect
could be the reason. Am I understanding correctly?

Is there any way to do that if you do not have administrative
privileges on Vista?

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

Christopher-John

s wrote:
> I want to share a HP Deskjet printer which is locally connected to the
> machine running Windows Vista to another computer running Windows XP
> through the network.
>
> I do as mentioned on http://www.home-network-help.com/vis...r-sharing.html
>
> At the third step on the link when I click on "Turn on Printer
> Sharing" and click the Apply button, it does not work. It reverts to
> the "Turn Off Printer Sharing"
>
> I do not have administrator privileges on that machine which I suspect
> could be the reason. Am I understanding correctly?
>
> Is there any way to do that if you do not have administrative
> privileges on Vista?
>
> Can someone please clarify?
>
> Thanks

Admin rights will be needed to perform windows shares for directory and
printer access. You're on the right track, and that looks to be the only
snag.

Additionally - is the printer directly to the network, or is it a USB
printer that must be shared? If its an IP-based printer directly on the
network, you could always set it up on the XP box as a local printer,
and simply create a new TCP/IP port when loading the driver.

Best Regards,

Christopher-John
Easynews Support Team