Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network storage

Wireless network storage

Fredxx

Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can take
standard 3.5" drives?

I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
of data is through theft.

Jack-MVP

Hi
AFAIC Wireless is Not the way to go.
1. It is slow in transfer.
2. It is Not very stable.
Howvevr if you sure thta you want to use Wireless, you need a Wireless
Router and a NAS with a compatible card.
I would wait few monthes until the new 802.11n standart devices are coming
out. At least with 802.11n the speed would be decent.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Fredxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h9d3ve$e8v$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can take
> standard 3.5" drives?
>
> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
> loss of data is through theft.

Lem

Fredxx wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can take
> standard 3.5" drives?
>
> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
> of data is through theft.

What are trying to do? A more usual method would be to use an external
drive connected to the computer via USB or eSata, disconnect the drive
after doing the backup, and then placing the drive in a locked cabinet
or safe.

Better, if you have a desktop/tower with an available drive bay, get a
removable hard drive rack and a couple of drive trays.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

smlunatick

On Sep 23, 1:23*pm, "Fredxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? *Which can take
> standard 3.5" drives?
>
> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
> of data is through theft.

A stand-alone Network Access Storage (NAS) is definitely NOT
recommended. Have you seen wireless networks that are extremely un-
reliable.

Since you have a wireless network, consider getting a standard NAS
that connects to your wireless router via an Ethernet cable.

Fredxx

"Jack-MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> AFAIC Wireless is Not the way to go.
> 1. It is slow in transfer.
> 2. It is Not very stable.
> Howvevr if you sure thta you want to use Wireless, you need a Wireless
> Router and a NAS with a compatible card.
> I would wait few monthes until the new 802.11n standart devices are coming
> out. At least with 802.11n the speed would be decent.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

I already have a wireless router. But I want the wireless NAS to be remote
and locked away. I'm less aware of wireless stability, perhaps I'm just
lucky?

Many thanks for you reply.

Fredxx

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fredxx wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
>> take standard 3.5" drives?
>>
>> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
>> loss of data is through theft.
>>

> What are trying to do? A more usual method would be to use an external
> drive connected to the computer via USB or eSata, disconnect the drive
> after doing the backup, and then placing the drive in a locked cabinet or
> safe.
>
> Better, if you have a desktop/tower with an available drive bay, get a
> removable hard drive rack and a couple of drive trays.

I want the wireless hard drive to be remote and locked away. I don't want
to have to physically plug, unplug and move external drives.

Many thanks for you reply.

Fredxx

smlunatick wrote:
> On Sep 23, 1:23 pm, "Fredxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
>> take standard 3.5" drives?
>>
>> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most
>> likely loss of data is through theft.

> A stand-alone Network Access Storage (NAS) is definitely NOT
> recommended. Have you seen wireless networks that are extremely un-
> reliable.
>
> Since you have a wireless network, consider getting a standard NAS
> that connects to your wireless router via an Ethernet cable.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but I haven't noticed wireless being particularly
unreliable.

Many thanks.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
There is a difference between reliability for heavy traffic that is
generated by to secure HD backup, and regular Wireless traffic during
Internet surfing.
As an analogy, every one washes his hands, but Surgeon washes much more,
otherwise he/she would harm the patient.
In any case if you insist, here is an example for such a product,
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch...iteria=AA73372
I am not telling you that it is "Good or Bad", just providing a starting
point.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Fredxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h9e3kb$1du$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> smlunatick wrote:
>> On Sep 23, 1:23 pm, "Fredxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
>>> take standard 3.5" drives?
>>>
>>> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most
>>> likely loss of data is through theft.

>> A stand-alone Network Access Storage (NAS) is definitely NOT
>> recommended. Have you seen wireless networks that are extremely un-
>> reliable.
>>
>> Since you have a wireless network, consider getting a standard NAS
>> that connects to your wireless router via an Ethernet cable.

> Perhaps I've been lucky, but I haven't noticed wireless being particularly
> unreliable.
>
> Many thanks.

Lem

Fredxx wrote:
> "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Fredxx wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
>>> take standard 3.5" drives?
>>>
>>> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
>>> loss of data is through theft.
>>>

>> What are trying to do? A more usual method would be to use an external
>> drive connected to the computer via USB or eSata, disconnect the drive
>> after doing the backup, and then placing the drive in a locked cabinet or
>> safe.
>>
>> Better, if you have a desktop/tower with an available drive bay, get a
>> removable hard drive rack and a couple of drive trays.
>>

> I want the wireless hard drive to be remote and locked away. I don't want
> to have to physically plug, unplug and move external drives.
>
> Many thanks for you reply.

If you actually do this, don't forget that you will have to supply your
locked enclosure with power and sufficient ventilation to keep the
equipment from overheating. And although it's more secure, I strongly
suggest that you don't put your wireless device inside a metal enclosure.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

ohaya

Fredxx wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can take
> standard 3.5" drives?
>
> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
> of data is through theft.

Hi,

I've been using a couple of these:

http://cptech-store.mwrc.net/en/prod...oduct_id=30679

it's quite nice, supports both an internal 2.5" drive and two
USB2-connected drives, accessible via Windows sharing (samba) or FTP,
and can act as an 11G access point. The drives are available via either
wireless or a wired connection.

I haven't used this feature, but I think it also supports WDS, which
means if you put it somewhere where you don't have cabling, the device
can connect wirelessly as a client and also act as an AP.

I use a couple of these, one for my "internal" in-house shared storage,
and one as an externally accessible FTP server.

It runs a small embedded Linux, and there's a somewhat intermittently
active community at:

http://www.macsat.com/macsat/compone...smf/Itemid,50/

I also have the internal one working as a print server, so it's a kind
of all-in-one thing for me ...

Jim