Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: DVD playability

Re: DVD playability

Stephen Worthington

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:52:22 +1200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>If I buy a DVD from Amazon UK will it play ok on a player bought a
>year ago in NZ?

A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
being made region free, as a result of the way our parallel importing
law works - it is perfectly legal here to import and use DVDs from any
region. Generally, when buying a DVD player in NZ, if it is not
capable of being made region free, the retailer will tell you that as
it is mostly assumed that it will be region free capable.

If yours is region free capable, just find the instructions to do it
and then it will play the DVD. The instructions are often a sheet of
paper included in the box when the DVD player was sold to you, but if
not, then you can search the Internet and see if you can find them, or
ask your retailer.

So, what is your DVD player?

Cima

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:41:58 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:51:07 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:52:22 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>If I buy a DVD from Amazon UK will it play ok on a player bought a
>>>year ago in NZ?

>>A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
>>being made region free, as a result of the way our parallel importing
>>law works - it is perfectly legal here to import and use DVDs from any
>>region. Generally, when buying a DVD player in NZ, if it is not
>>capable of being made region free, the retailer will tell you that as
>>it is mostly assumed that it will be region free capable.
>>
>>If yours is region free capable, just find the instructions to do it
>>and then it will play the DVD. The instructions are often a sheet of
>>paper included in the box when the DVD player was sold to you, but if
>>not, then you can search the Internet and see if you can find them, or
>>ask your retailer.
>>
>>So, what is your DVD player?

>It is a Toshiba SD-590KY which I got for about $50 from Harvey Norman
>at the beginning of this year. It works well.
>The instruction book gives the usual info about region codes but there
>are no intructions about making it region free.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forum1...ree_code/page1

http://tinyurl.com/kj8hjc

1: Power on the DVD Player

2: Eject/open dvd tray

3: while tray is open, press "9879" on the remote

4: then press "0" on the remote

5: turn the power off

6: turn the player on again and its now multi region

Mary Hanna

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:41:58 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:51:07 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:52:22 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>If I buy a DVD from Amazon UK will it play ok on a player bought a
>>>year ago in NZ?

>>A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
>>being made region free, as a result of the way our parallel importing
>>law works - it is perfectly legal here to import and use DVDs from any
>>region. Generally, when buying a DVD player in NZ, if it is not
>>capable of being made region free, the retailer will tell you that as
>>it is mostly assumed that it will be region free capable.
>>
>>If yours is region free capable, just find the instructions to do it
>>and then it will play the DVD. The instructions are often a sheet of
>>paper included in the box when the DVD player was sold to you, but if
>>not, then you can search the Internet and see if you can find them, or
>>ask your retailer.
>>
>>So, what is your DVD player?

>It is a Toshiba SD-590KY which I got for about $50 from Harvey Norman
>at the beginning of this year. It works well.
>The instruction book gives the usual info about region codes but there
>are no intructions about making it region free.

Did you ask the shop if it was region free as some need to be done with a
special remote and is done free in most cases.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington
wrote:

> A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
> being made region free ...

The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of the
box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but fixing it was
done as a "warranty repair".

Mary Hanna

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:40:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington
>wrote:
>
>> A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
>> being made region free ...

>The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of the
>box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but fixing it was
>done as a "warranty repair".

Panasonic Players are done free but you must ask.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mary Hanna wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:40:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>> Worthington wrote:
>>
>>> A very large proportion of the DVD players sold in NZ are capable of
>>> being made region free ...

>> The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of
>> the box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but
>> fixing it was done as a "warranty repair".

> Panasonic Players are done free but you must ask.

.... an then take it to your nearest regional Panasonic authourised repair
centre and wait while they do it.

(At least that was my experience with my three Pannys, drive from Puke to
Manukau, wait 20 minutes until they come out looking confused, tell them
yes, I've changed the default remote 'channel' so they don't all turn on and
off at the same time, wait another 20 minutes while they work out how to
change it so their service remote works....)
--
Shaun.

If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <h9h0am$c0e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mary Hanna wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:40:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Pioneer recorder I bought a few years ago was region-free out of
>>> the box. The Panasonic player I bought more recently was not, but
>>> fixing it was done as a "warranty repair".

>> Panasonic Players are done free but you must ask.

>.... an then take it to your nearest regional Panasonic authourised repair
>centre and wait while they do it.

Agreed. They also say it will take 20 minutes ... but it actually takes a
few seconds to do.
I still don't know why they aren't all set to region zero OOTB (well, to
rephrase, I have yet to hear a *good* reasson ).