Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Object audio/x-midi

Object audio/x-midi

Eustace

From the webpage

http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-...ect-audio.html

I got the following code:

<object type="audio/x-midi" data="data/test.mid" width="200" height="20">
<param name="src" value="data/test.mid">
<param name="autoplay" value="false">
<param name="autoStart" value="0">
alt : <a href="data/test.mid">test.mid</a>
</object>

and copied and pasted it in a webpage changing "data/test.mid" to
song.mid, that I have in the same directory. When I open my webpage,
however, I see a white rectangle with a Q in the middle and with a ?
inside it. What did I do wrong?

emf

--
It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/.../itaintme.html

Travis Newbury

On Sep 22, 4:01*am, Eustace <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What did I do wrong?

You did nothing wrong, it is working as designed

Eustace

On 2009-09-22 12:12 Ed Mullen wrote:
> Eustace wrote:
>> From the webpage
>>
>> http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-...ect-audio.html
>>
>> I got the following code:
>>
>> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="data/test.mid" width="200" height="20">
>> <param name="src" value="data/test.mid">
>> <param name="autoplay" value="false">
>> <param name="autoStart" value="0">
>> alt : <a href="data/test.mid">test.mid</a>
>> </object>
>>
>> and copied and pasted it in a webpage changing "data/test.mid" to
>> song.mid, that I have in the same directory. When I open my webpage,
>> however, I see a white rectangle with a Q in the middle and with a ?
>> inside it. What did I do wrong?

> The Q is the Quicktime player logo. My guess is Windows and/or your
> browser is set to use Quicktime to render embedded midi audio but you're
> missing the Quicktime browser plug-in.
>
> If you have the plug-in installed the reason you're not hearing anything
> is that the code above has "autoStart" set to zero, meaning don't start
> the audio when the page loads.
>
> If you have your test page online post a link and we'll look at it.

Thanks to both of you. The problem, it seems, was related to reading
computer files rather than webpages. When I uploaded the file, it played
as expected. You can see the file at my sig below - newly renovated to
conform to the HTML 4.01 _Strict_ requirements.

emf

--
It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
http://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/i.../itaintme.html

cwdjrxyz

On Sep 22, 3:01*am, Eustace <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *From the webpage
>
> http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-...ect-audio.html
>
> I got the following code:

Apparently you have corrected your problem with code as you posted
down the thread. However that reference has opened up quite a can of
worms. For the reference on a 64 bit OS system, I get only a black bar
for the QT controller. The controls seem to be there because you can
start and stop, etc. if you know where to click or drag on the black
QT controller bar. This was using the latest Firefox browser.

To make a long story short, I found the following:

Everything on the example you give works on an older 32 bit OS XP
computer with 32 bit IE, Opera, and Firefox browsers. For a Vista 64
bit OS computer, and a 32 bit IE7 browser, you get the black bar if
the computer is configured to use the QT player. If you use a Real,
WMP or SWF format, the controllers for these are normal. If you use
both the 64bit OS mentioned and the 64 bit IE7, browser, all hell
breaks out. Only the WMP format will work at all on it. Adobe at least
is aware of this problem for flash and intends to correct it in their
next version. Their solution for now is to use a 32 bit browser. I do
not know what plans Real and Apple QT have, if any.

My fairly new Vista 64 bit computer came from Dell with both 32 and 64
bit OS IE7 browsers installed which can be selected at All Programs.
However the QT black control bar problem is new to me.

I also found another problem with the latest QT. The 64 bit Visa OS
has a place that allows you to assign to which program, such as QT or
WMP any file type is associated without having to go to individual
player programs. When you, for example, associate mp3 with the WMP
player, it plays on the WMP if the mp3 is on the computer. If the mp3
is on a server, even with proper mime types applied, the mp3 plays on
the QT player with black bar!

> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="data/test.mid" width="200" height="20">
> * *<param name="src" value="data/test.mid">
> * *<param name="autoplay" value="false">
> * *<param name="autoStart" value="0">
> * * *alt : <a href="data/test.mid">test.mid</a>
> </object>
>
> and copied and pasted it in a webpage changing "data/test.mid" to
> song.mid, that I have in the same directory. When I open my webpage,
> however, I see a white rectangle with a Q in the middle and with a ?
> inside it. What did I do wrong?

Eustace

On 2009-09-26 13:26 cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Sep 22, 3:01 am, Eustace <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> From the webpage
>>
>> http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-...ect-audio.html
>>
>> I got the following code:

> Apparently you have corrected your problem with code as you posted
> down the thread. However that reference has opened up quite a can of
> worms. For the reference on a 64 bit OS system, I get only a black bar
> for the QT controller. The controls seem to be there because you can
> start and stop, etc. if you know where to click or drag on the black
> QT controller bar. This was using the latest Firefox browser.
>
> To make a long story short, I found the following:
>
> Everything on the example you give works on an older 32 bit OS XP
> computer with 32 bit IE, Opera, and Firefox browsers. For a Vista 64
> bit OS computer, and a 32 bit IE7 browser, you get the black bar if
> the computer is configured to use the QT player. If you use a Real,
> WMP or SWF format, the controllers for these are normal. If you use
> both the 64bit OS mentioned and the 64 bit IE7, browser, all hell
> breaks out. Only the WMP format will work at all on it. Adobe at least
> is aware of this problem for flash and intends to correct it in their
> next version. Their solution for now is to use a 32 bit browser. I do
> not know what plans Real and Apple QT have, if any.
>
> My fairly new Vista 64 bit computer came from Dell with both 32 and 64
> bit OS IE7 browsers installed which can be selected at All Programs.
> However the QT black control bar problem is new to me.
>
> I also found another problem with the latest QT. The 64 bit Visa OS
> has a place that allows you to assign to which program, such as QT or
> WMP any file type is associated without having to go to individual
> player programs. When you, for example, associate mp3 with the WMP
> player, it plays on the WMP if the mp3 is on the computer. If the mp3
> is on a server, even with proper mime types applied, the mp3 plays on
> the QT player with black bar!

I also use Firefox on a Dell with Vista, but the 32 bit one. I haven't
yet seen a 64 bit machine... That's the problem with computers! The
technology and the code standards change fast, and we have to try to
keep up with them. Sometimes I wish this rate of progress would slow
down a bit, since the main motive, I am afraid, is not the interest of
the computer users, but to make money by obligating them to buy new
products.

emf