Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop keyboard cleansing

Laptop keyboard cleansing

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
re-use?
Other recommended solutions?
Cheers in advance!

J Brockley

"Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
> the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
> re-use?
> Other recommended solutions?
> Cheers in advance!

Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits it can
reach.
It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that indicates
when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

On 23 Sep 2009 17:57:54 +1200, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:19:22 +1200, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
>
>> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned the
>> keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for re-use?
>> Other recommended solutions?
>> Cheers in advance!

>It's kinda mediocre. Takes several applications to make a significant
>difference. Should keep clean if you keep it in its plastic jar between
>uses.

So it actually just accumulates the muck it gathers?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs J Brockley wrote:
> "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
>> the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
>> re-use?
>> Other recommended solutions?
>> Cheers in advance!

> Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits
> it can reach.
> It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that
> indicates when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

Will it get whatever it is uner my 'd' key out? I find that I keep missing
them out and have to go back and hit them extra hard.
--
Shaun.

If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.

Stephen Worthington

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:08:34 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs J Brockley wrote:
>> "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
>>> the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
>>> re-use?
>>> Other recommended solutions?
>>> Cheers in advance!

>> Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits
>> it can reach.
>> It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that
>> indicates when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

>Will it get whatever it is uner my 'd' key out? I find that I keep missing
>them out and have to go back and hit them extra hard.

I use a fairly large artist's paintbrush (size 9?) for dusting my
keyboards. That helps prevent things from getting in under the keys
if done reasonably regularly. I found the gooey stuff was not so good
at getting out dust and dirt as the brush was, and the brush is much
easier to use. I don't think it would get in under the keys to get
out something stuck in there though, unless your keyboard is quite
open.

The gooey stuff works quite well for getting off the stuck on dirt
(the stuff your sweat sticks to the keys). I find that it does not
pull it off very well, but the solvent in it comes off onto the keys
and then a rub with a cloth will get the dirt off while the solvent
lasts. Any other way of getting a solvent onto a keyboard is likely
to wet through to the circuit board underneath - not a good idea. So
I use the gooey stuff once or twice a year as necessary, and just dust
the rest of the time with a cloth duster and my brush. I recommend
not getting a black keyboard - it really shows the dust.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:08:34 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs J Brockley wrote:
>>> "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits
>>> it can reach.
>>> It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that
>>> indicates when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

>> Will it get whatever it is uner my 'd' key out? I find that I keep
>> missing them out and have to go back and hit them extra hard.

> I use a fairly large artist's paintbrush (size 9?) for dusting my
> keyboards. That helps prevent things from getting in under the keys
> if done reasonably regularly. I found the gooey stuff was not so good
> at getting out dust and dirt as the brush was, and the brush is much
> easier to use. I don't think it would get in under the keys to get
> out something stuck in there though, unless your keyboard is quite
> open.
>
> The gooey stuff works quite well for getting off the stuck on dirt
> (the stuff your sweat sticks to the keys). I find that it does not
> pull it off very well, but the solvent in it comes off onto the keys
> and then a rub with a cloth will get the dirt off while the solvent
> lasts. Any other way of getting a solvent onto a keyboard is likely
> to wet through to the circuit board underneath - not a good idea. So
> I use the gooey stuff once or twice a year as necessary, and just dust
> the rest of the time with a cloth duster and my brush. I recommend
> not getting a black keyboard - it really shows the dust.

Thanks. Unfortunately, as great as this ThinkPad T60 keyboard is are to use
they're a female dog to try to clean. There's virtually no gap between the
keys to get a brush in. I think maybe a low-powered compressor might be the
answer? Perhaps I'll dismantle it an give it a shake/tap....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lukagain Cos
ThistleBounce wrote:

> Other recommended solutions?

Toothpicks. Wonderfully versatile cleaning implements that can get into all
kinds of nooks and crannies with low risk of damaging the items being
cleaned. Always keep a tub handy.

Make sure they're the bamboo ones.