Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to view my laptop on network

Unable to view my laptop on network

Unable to view my laptop on network

Hi,

I have a small wireless network of 15 laptop/pc/printer.I am able to connect
internet through wireless. I can access printer attached on network and I can
ping getway through my laptop. But my laptop is not showing on network
neighter I can connet other laptop on network.we have just the workgroup. no
domain at all.

please sugest what to do...?

Bhuwan

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Unable to view my laptop on network <Unable to view my laptop on
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small wireless network of 15 laptop/pc/printer.I am able to
> connect internet through wireless. I can access printer attached on
> network and I can ping getway through my laptop. But my laptop is not
> showing on network neighter I can connet other laptop on network.we
> have just the workgroup. no domain at all.
>
> please sugest what to do...?
>
> Bhuwan

Make sure you have file & print sharing enabled on your laptop. Reboot all
the workstations and see whether it starts showing up.
Note that you don't need NetBIOS browsing to work just to share data. And 15
computers is a bit large for a functional workgroup if you ask me.

Richard in AZ

If I remember right, a workgroup is limited to 10 pc's. You need a domain to see more than that.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <(E-Mail Removed) hoo.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Unable to view my laptop on network <Unable to view my laptop on
| (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > I have a small wireless network of 15 laptop/pc/printer.I am able to
| > connect internet through wireless. I can access printer attached on
| > network and I can ping getway through my laptop. But my laptop is not
| > showing on network neighter I can connet other laptop on network.we
| > have just the workgroup. no domain at all.
| >
| > please sugest what to do...?
| >
| > Bhuwan
|
| Make sure you have file & print sharing enabled on your laptop. Reboot all
| the workstations and see whether it starts showing up.
| Note that you don't need NetBIOS browsing to work just to share data. And 15
| computers is a bit large for a functional workgroup if you ask me.

Lem

Richard in AZ wrote:
> If I remember right, a workgroup is limited to 10 pc's. You need a domain to see more than that.

<snip>

Not quite. What you probably are thinking of is that XP Pro is limited
to 10 simultaneous inbound connections (for XP Home, the limit is 5). A
"connection" is not the same as a computer. A single computer may
initiate several connections. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
As Lem indicated Workgroup devices are good up to 10 connections.
That means that many times even when there is 10 computers some would not
function on the Network.
Once you are venturing into 15 computers it is time to change to a real
server.
Next step probably should be along the line of Windows SBS.
http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/default.aspx
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Unable to view my laptop on network" <Unable to view my laptop on
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a small wireless network of 15 laptop/pc/printer.I am able to
> connect
> internet through wireless. I can access printer attached on network and I
> can
> ping getway through my laptop. But my laptop is not showing on network
> neighter I can connet other laptop on network.we have just the workgroup.
> no
> domain at all.
>
> please sugest what to do...?
>
> Bhuwan

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Jack [MVP-Networking] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> As Lem indicated Workgroup devices are good up to 10 connections.
> That means that many times even when there is 10 computers some would
> not function on the Network.

They would still be visible on the network, tho. The 10-connection limit is
about that: connecting. Not browsing.

> Once you are venturing into 15 computers it is time to change to a
> real server.

I'd say it's time long before then, but that's my opinion and everyone's
welcome to it.