Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player

David B. Mathews

I have come across a strange thing. I have Vista Ultimate with 64 bit of
course. For some reason when I click on the media player nothing happens.
I try as admin and it gives me the window to run it and I click on yes and
still nothing happens. I right click on a mp3 file and tell it to open with
media player and sometimes it does but most times it don't. If I reboot it
works but must go away sometime later. All I'm doing is surfing the net.
Not running any programs. Any ideas?

Carlos

David,
Sometimes this issue happens when the wmplayer.exe process is running in the
background previously (don't ask me how).
Bring up Task Manager by pressing simultaneously Shift+Ctrl+Esc keys.
Then go to the "Processes" tab and terminate wmplayer.exe process.

If you also have troubles with media file associations go to
Start -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Windows Media Player ->
Set this program as default and clicking OK

There is no known way to reinstall WMP11 in Vista x64, at least to my
knowledge.

Also make sure that the shortcut your are clicking on is pointing to WMP
real location.

Carlos
"David B. Mathews" wrote:

> I have come across a strange thing. I have Vista Ultimate with 64 bit of
> course. For some reason when I click on the media player nothing happens.
> I try as admin and it gives me the window to run it and I click on yes and
> still nothing happens. I right click on a mp3 file and tell it to open with
> media player and sometimes it does but most times it don't. If I reboot it
> works but must go away sometime later. All I'm doing is surfing the net.
> Not running any programs. Any ideas?

David B. Mathews

I'll try that next time it happens.
--------------------
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David,
> Sometimes this issue happens when the wmplayer.exe process is running in
> the
> background previously (don't ask me how).
> Bring up Task Manager by pressing simultaneously Shift+Ctrl+Esc keys.
> Then go to the "Processes" tab and terminate wmplayer.exe process.
>
> If you also have troubles with media file associations go to
> Start -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Windows Media
> Player ->
> Set this program as default and clicking OK
>
> There is no known way to reinstall WMP11 in Vista x64, at least to my
> knowledge.
>
> Also make sure that the shortcut your are clicking on is pointing to WMP
> real location.
>
> Carlos
> "David B. Mathews" wrote:
>
>> I have come across a strange thing. I have Vista Ultimate with 64 bit of
>> course. For some reason when I click on the media player nothing
>> happens.
>> I try as admin and it gives me the window to run it and I click on yes
>> and
>> still nothing happens. I right click on a mp3 file and tell it to open
>> with
>> media player and sometimes it does but most times it don't. If I reboot
>> it
>> works but must go away sometime later. All I'm doing is surfing the net.
>> Not running any programs. Any ideas?

ChaosInACT

You can't re-install it?!? that sucks. I had the same problem but really it
just won't ever start!!! it's crap and microsoft doesn't have another install
available (i guess they figure it shipped with win 7 already).

win 7 great - will just NEVER be able to use media player again.

Way to go microsoft....

Bobby Johnson

Did you try using "Turn Windows features on or off" to see if you could
get it back?