Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless networking x64 and x 86

wireless networking x64 and x 86

Timax

My PC has vista HP x 64 installed and is connected to a wireless router
(infrastructure) and my laptop has vista HP 32 bit os. Can I network using
the two different os's? and if so how do I do it? My laptop cannot access
anything on the home pc at the moment.

TIA

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Network connection wise it does not matter if the computers are x86 and or
x64 in any mixture.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Sharing between Windows XP and Mac -
http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web...file-share.asp
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Timax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My PC has vista HP x 64 installed and is connected to a wireless router
> (infrastructure) and my laptop has vista HP 32 bit os. Can I network
> using the two different os's? and if so how do I do it? My laptop cannot
> access anything on the home pc at the moment.
>
> TIA

smlunatick

On Sep 21, 5:16*am, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> Network connection wise it does not matter if the computers are x86 and or
> x64 in any mixture.
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example,http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
> Windows XP File Sharing -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
> Printer Sharing XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_...
> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) *-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Sharing between Windows XP and Mac -http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-resources/mac-pc-file-share.asp
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Timax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > My PC has vista HP x 64 installed and is connected to a wireless router
> > (infrastructure) and my laptop has vista HP *32 bit os. Can I network
> > using the two different os's? and if so how do I do it? My laptop cannot
> > access anything on the home pc at the moment.

> > TIA

Also consider checking the wireless router so as to see if the unit
has a WLAN "partition" option. This option can prevent wireless
"client" PCs from seeing other PCs, either wireless or wired.