Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Debris spots??

Debris spots??

John McWilliams

I have two images taken 20 seconds apart which show something I've not
seen- or at least not noticed- before: There's a large amount of spots
on one that look like sensor dust, but on the one 20 seconds later,
there're no spots.
......on more checking, I see that the camera hadn't been fired for
several days, so might it be that there was a lot of sensor dust on the
first shot which was blown off by the mirror flapping?

Anyone experienced this?

Other explanations/confirmation/naysaying all welcome.

--
john mcwilliams

me

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:07:38 -0700, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have two images taken 20 seconds apart which show something I've not
>seen- or at least not noticed- before: There's a large amount of spots
>on one that look like sensor dust, but on the one 20 seconds later,
>there're no spots.
>.....on more checking, I see that the camera hadn't been fired for
>several days, so might it be that there was a lot of sensor dust on the
>first shot which was blown off by the mirror flapping?
>
>Anyone experienced this?
>
>Other explanations/confirmation/naysaying all welcome.

As you have not explicitly stated the aperture setting for both, may
we assume they were the same, and not that the first was considerably
more stopped down from the second?

I have also seen trash motes move with just moving/reorienting the
camera. Any chance of condensation on the AA filter initially?

John McWilliams

me wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:07:38 -0700, John McWilliams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have two images taken 20 seconds apart which show something I've not
>> seen- or at least not noticed- before: There's a large amount of spots
>> on one that look like sensor dust, but on the one 20 seconds later,
>> there're no spots.
>> .....on more checking, I see that the camera hadn't been fired for
>> several days, so might it be that there was a lot of sensor dust on the
>> first shot which was blown off by the mirror flapping?
>>
>> Anyone experienced this?
>>
>> Other explanations/confirmation/naysaying all welcome.

> As you have not explicitly stated the aperture setting for both, may
> we assume they were the same, and not that the first was considerably
> more stopped down from the second?

You hit the nail on the head; thanks.

It was the first thing I checked, but I misread 45 for 4.5, close to
the stop of the adjacent image! Then I went out and shot the sky at
highest stop, OoF, and while there were spots not nearly as many or as
big, and were in different locations. Then I posted. Then I read, and
realized I tested with the wrong body and lens! I don't normally shoot
very stopped down, nor with a lot of sky, nor OoF.... So a nice combo of
events, plus inattention on my part sealed the deal.

Looks like I have some cleaning to do.

--
John McWilliams