Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Current digital cameras

Current digital cameras

James Silverton

Hello All!

I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
have an optical finder.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Charles

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h90upm$n83$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Hello All!
>
> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I note
> that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are neither
> DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually work in
> bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there is no
> optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon that I
> bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does have an
> optical finder.

LCDs are getting better, but only marginally. Bright sunlight is a bear!

Shawn Hirn

In article <h90upm$n83$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
> is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
> that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
> have an optical finder.

Some do, some don't. You can check out digital camera reviews at
http://www.dpreview.com

ray

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:41:12 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
> is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
> that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
> have an optical finder.

The third option, of course, is an Electronic View Finder. Personally,
I'd never have a camera without a viewfinder. In fact, I have no use for
the back panel LCD - throw it out.

SMS

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
> is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
> that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
> have an optical finder.

_Never_ buy a camera without an optical, or at the very least, an
electronic, viewfinder.

Robert Spanjaard

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:41:12 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
> is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
> that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
> have an optical finder.

On compacts, I prefer using the LCD. In any condition, they're much
better than the crappy optical finders on these models.

I don't consider bright sunlight to be that much of a problem. In most
situations, I can leave the LCD of my Powershot S80 at its lowest
brightness setting. And don't forget that bright sunlight usually isn't
the best light for pphotography anyway.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Don Stauffer

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
> is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
> that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
> have an optical finder.

In addition to the contrast ratio in bright light, there is the
resolution problem if manually focusing. You have a camera with maybe
ten or twelve pixels, and are trying to judge the focus on a display
with a few hundred thousand pixels. Difficult. If you NEVER use manual
focus it is okay, but if you want a camera with a manual focus option
you must have an optical viewfinder.

Charles Atwater

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:27:39 -0500, Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
>> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
>> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
>> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately, there
>> is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on my Nikon
>> that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho' it does
>> have an optical finder.
>>

>In addition to the contrast ratio in bright light, there is the
>resolution problem if manually focusing. You have a camera with maybe
>ten or twelve pixels, and are trying to judge the focus on a display
>with a few hundred thousand pixels. Difficult. If you NEVER use manual
>focus it is okay, but if you want a camera with a manual focus option
>you must have an optical viewfinder.

Totally false.

I find I get even sharper manual focus using an EVF the correct way than
can ever be done by using an optical viewfinder. I have a whole collection
of various interchangeable (and expensive) focusing screens for my SLR
cameras and there's no comparison to the accuracy you can get with a good
EVF. Not to mention the extra brightness you get in low-light conditions
that would make all optical viewfinders completely useless. You just have
to learn to use new tools in the proper way. This is something that is
beyond the minds and lack of talents of those mired in last century
mechanical technology.

ray

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:54:09 -0500, Charles Atwater wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:27:39 -0500, Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
>>> note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
>>> neither DSLRs nor possess an optical finder. Do the monitors actually
>>> work in bright sunlight? I keep seeing the phrase "unfortunately,
>>> there is no optical finder" in the magazines. I know that the LCD on
>>> my Nikon that I bought 5 years ago is useless in bright sunlight tho'
>>> it does have an optical finder.
>>>

>>In addition to the contrast ratio in bright light, there is the
>>resolution problem if manually focusing. You have a camera with maybe
>>ten or twelve pixels, and are trying to judge the focus on a display
>>with a few hundred thousand pixels. Difficult. If you NEVER use manual
>>focus it is okay, but if you want a camera with a manual focus option
>>you must have an optical viewfinder.

> Totally false.
>
> I find I get even sharper manual focus using an EVF the correct way than
> can ever be done by using an optical viewfinder. I have a whole
> collection of various interchangeable (and expensive) focusing screens
> for my SLR cameras and there's no comparison to the accuracy you can get
> with a good EVF. Not to mention the extra brightness you get in
> low-light conditions that would make all optical viewfinders completely
> useless. You just have to learn to use new tools in the proper way. This
> is something that is beyond the minds and lack of talents of those mired
> in last century mechanical technology.

The kicker there is getting a decent EVF. I've not checked out the crop
recently, but last time I looked most were so blocky it would be
difficult for me to use them for anything. Seems if they're 300k or more
then it works fine.

Miles Bader

ray <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The kicker there is getting a decent EVF. I've not checked out the crop
> recently, but last time I looked most were so blocky it would be
> difficult for me to use them for anything. Seems if they're 300k or more
> then it works fine.

There are more issues than just resolution though; in particular, even
when you're taking "still" pictures, a laggy VF feels very weird...

-Miles

--
Virtues, n. pl. Certain abstentions.