Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Desktop fails to connect to internet - Wireless laptop connects

Desktop fails to connect to internet - Wireless laptop connects

Emory Richter

Desktop fails to connect to internet - Wireless laptop connects

Using my desktop
with XP SP2
it brings down email
and connects to newsgroups
but 3 different browsers
fail to connect to the internet.

They show 1%, 2%, 3% page download
then 'No Page'.

My laptop
with a wireless connection
in the same network
connects and opens pages.

Any ideas how to get the desktop browsers
to connect ?

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Emory Richter wrote:
> Desktop fails to connect to internet - Wireless laptop connects
>
> Using my desktop
> with XP SP2
> it brings down email
> and connects to newsgroups
> but 3 different browsers
> fail to connect to the internet.

do Run>cmd>netstat -an
and post the results.

> They show 1%, 2%, 3% page download
> then 'No Page'.

Heh. Browser cache full?

> My laptop
> with a wireless connection
> in the same network
> connects and opens pages.

By Krom! The gods be against ye!

> Any ideas how to get the desktop browsers
> to connect ?

Clear the browser cache on each, delete all cookies etc.
And cross yer fingers.

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

Emory Richter

In article <h910e5$41d$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> hw=3Ff

Tks hw=3Ff

The caches are empty
but no connection.
[also cant FTP
from the desktop machine]
tho email and news still fine.

netstat -an
closes immediately.
I dont remember the switch
to make the pause?

Emory

John Holmes

Emory Richter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> In article <h910e5$41d$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> hw=3Ff
>>

> Tks hw=3Ff
>
> The caches are empty
> but no connection.
> [also cant FTP
> from the desktop machine]
> tho email and news still fine.
>
> netstat -an
> closes immediately.
> I dont remember the switch
> to make the pause?
>
> Emory

netstat is a command-line utility. Start>Run>cmd In the little black box,
type netstat -na
But, on the other hand, if you already don't know this simple exercise,
how would you know how to interpret the results of netstat?

--
<snip>

hwf

John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Emory Richter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> In article <h910e5$41d$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> hw=3Ff
>>>

>> Tks hw=3Ff
>>
>> The caches are empty
>> but no connection.
>> [also cant FTP
>> from the desktop machine]
>> tho email and news still fine.
>>
>> netstat -an
>> closes immediately.
>> I dont remember the switch
>> to make the pause?
>>
>> Emory

>netstat is a command-line utility. Start>Run>cmd In the little black

box,
>type netstat -na
>But, on the other hand, if you already don't know this simple

exercise,
>how would you know how to interpret the results of netstat?

Retract thy claws, tiger. I was expecting him to post the results.
if he's doing it *in* a command window and it closes in a flash...well
then...somethings fishy.

^_^

John Holmes

hwf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
> of<(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>Emory Richter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> In article <h910e5$41d$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>>
>>> Tks hw=3Ff
>>>
>>> The caches are empty
>>> but no connection.
>>> [also cant FTP
>>> from the desktop machine]
>>> tho email and news still fine.
>>>
>>> netstat -an
>>> closes immediately.
>>> I dont remember the switch
>>> to make the pause?
>>>
>>> Emory

>>netstat is a command-line utility. Start>Run>cmd In the little black

> box,
>>type netstat -na
>>But, on the other hand, if you already don't know this simple

> exercise,
>>how would you know how to interpret the results of netstat?
>>

> Retract thy claws, tiger. I was expecting him to post the results.
> if he's doing it *in* a command window and it closes in a flash...well
> then...somethings fishy.
>
> ^_^

I wonder if the OP even knows how to poast the results.

--
<snip>

Emory Richter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Emory Richter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Desktop fails to connect to internet - Wireless laptop connects
> > Using my desktop
> > with XP SP2
> > it brings down email
> > and connects to newsgroups
> > but 3 different browsers
> > fail to connect to the internet.
> > They show 1%, 2%, 3% page download
> > then 'No Page'.
> > My laptop
> > with a wireless connection
> > in the same network
> > connects and opens pages.
> > Any ideas how to get the desktop browsers
> > to connect ?

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314095
>
> Ben

Thanks for the link, Ben.
The problem has been solved.

Emory

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Holmes wrote:
> hwf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> > John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
> > of<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> >
> >>Emory Richter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> >>netstat is a command-line utility. Start>Run>cmd In the little black

> > box,
> >>type netstat -na
> >>But, on the other hand, if you already don't know this simple

> > exercise,
> >>how would you know how to interpret the results of netstat?
> >>

> > Retract thy claws, tiger. I was expecting him to post the results.
> > if he's doing it *in* a command window and it closes in a flash...well
> > then...somethings fishy.
> >
> > ^_^
> >

> I wonder if the OP even knows how to poast the results.

Well it looks like he can follow M$ instructables...