Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISPs

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-09-18, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Peter Huebner wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm fairly sure that I'll get better support for the internet from
>>> Actrix, but I want to be assured about the phone and maintenance
>>> issue before I commit myself.
>>>

>> As a user, I recommend Actrix. I have been with them for ever. Even
>> during a period when I was with another ISP because work paid I kept
>> my connection with them. I've never had the run-around with them,
>> and if you do, I recommend emailing one of the big bods.
>>

> I am floored. In my years of reading this ng Actrix has continued to
> rate okay with its posters. Now time is being thrown in the mix.
> Still Actrix power on above the rest.
>
> So who says that small can not provide a great service?
>
> Yes, I have not one cent of finanical interest in them

I've been with them for a few years now after first going with Xtra, then
with Orcon. Actrix have been nothing but excellent the whole time (barring a
'first and only warning' for me calling a c#nt a c#nt in a newsgroup, who
then complained to them, hence I no longer use their NNTP server...)

I have no hesitation in recommending them but suggest that it you're a
usenetter and speak your mind you don't use their NNTP. Their T&C forbid
using their 'service' to defame or insult (etc.) anyone. I spoke to a
'droid' (actually I've found them to be clear, concise and not afraid to say
if they're out of their depth) about it and he told me that, strictly
speaking, even if I use another NNTP server an 'defame' someone they can
still boot me. However he told me that they're less likely to get complaints
if I use a 3rd party NNTP host, although, strictly speaking, I'd still be
breaching their T&C and they got a complaint that could be proven to cme
from me then...

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Peter Huebner

says...

> Peter Huebner wrote:
> >
> > *important* online activities.
> >

> There is no such thing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Depends, Cliff .... I did my GST yesterday only to find my adsl was no
longer connected and so I couldn't file it online. Actually, it wasn't
just me, it was all the broadband users west of Kaikohe apparently, and
xtra customers just as much as everyone else.

But that kind of thing can really stuff you up. Funnily enough,
neighbour's harddrive sucked the kumara the same day and I couldn't get
on to Ascent's site to order her a new one either.

Important enough, i.m.o. I find I depend on the broadband just about
more than the phone these days, certainly more than snail-mail; with a
very few exceptions.

-P.

Peter Huebner

In article <h98tnc$l3r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> I've been with them for a few years now after first going with Xtra, then
> with Orcon. Actrix have been nothing but excellent the whole time (barring a
> 'first and only warning' for me calling a c#nt a c#nt in a newsgroup, who
> then complained to them, hence I no longer use their NNTP server...)

Yeah, I think I get the picture. Still mulling it over here.

I really hate giving my money to telecom, the management are just such a
bunch of arseholes. Gods, but I feel sorry for anyone working for them.
My sympathies certainly lie with Actrix. Heh, I used to connect to them
via pacnet back in the '80ies before they went commercial.

But the xtra deal that EMB and Donchano recommended IS very very good,
actually. We don't even do much tolls, maybe $15 a month, but take that
$15 into cost-consideration, and full/full speed .... uploads are my big
bottleneck, if anyone tries to email or upload pics on the 128 up
connection that I currently have, the whole traffic slows to a crawl.

<still scratches head>

-P.

Enkidu

Peter Huebner wrote:
> says...
>> Peter Huebner wrote:
>>> *important* online activities.
>> >

>> There is no such thing.

> Depends, Cliff .... I did my GST yesterday only to find my adsl was no
> longer connected and so I couldn't file it online. Actually, it wasn't
> just me, it was all the broadband users west of Kaikohe apparently, and
> xtra customers just as much as everyone else.
>
> But that kind of thing can really stuff you up. Funnily enough,
> neighbour's harddrive sucked the kumara the same day and I couldn't get
> on to Ascent's site to order her a new one either.
>
> Important enough, i.m.o. I find I depend on the broadband just about
> more than the phone these days, certainly more than snail-mail; with a
> very few exceptions.

Sure, there are important activities that are performed online. I was
being a little harsh I guess, but being in the business it appals me the
way that people rely on a fragile service for their important things.

Cheers,

Cliff

DSL connections to 2(two) different ISPs. Redundancy???? AP Cisco 5 05-28-2004 08:55 PM
Four T1s - 2 ISPs - One 7200 - Solution? SJ Cisco 1 05-13-2004 12:46 PM
PIX515(3 interfaces) + 2 routers + 2 ISPs ejikn Cisco 2 05-04-2004 04:18 PM
VPN across multiple ISPs Bjorn Cisco 1 11-03-2003 11:25 PM
Cisco 2611 with Two T1 from two ISPs Adam Embrey Cisco 3 07-24-2003 10:22 PM

Advertisments