Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > New ASP.NET 2.0 Terminology: "CROSSPOST" is a very BAD name to use

New ASP.NET 2.0 Terminology: "CROSSPOST" is a very BAD name to use

anon

Dear Microsoft:

In your new ASP.NET 2.0 page model of being able to crosspost to another
page, it would seem that if you were to type that word in Google,
"crosspost" or "cross post", you will get endless amount of results from the
newsgroup police complaining about posters cross posting to many newsgroups
as this very message is doing.

So to those at Microsoft, and since posting your form results to another
page is very very important in a web site, and probably a big big part of
why .NET is so difficult, I recommend you find a better name than "cross
post".

Otherwise, when you do that Google or Yahoo search for "cross post" when
trying to learn how to post to another page, you will get endless results
from the newsgroup police. There is no let up in the newsgroup police
complaining about cross posting, so don't think when ASP.NET comes out
Google or whatever will be able to tell the difference as the "cross
posting" complaints are never ending and are always current. If you do that
in newsgroups or in the Web, you will also get the same etiquette complaints
or web pages as well.

You, Microsoft, are essentially choosing the exact same name as the
newgroups police do in their complaints and will only confuse people more.

Perhaps, you should using something on the lines of the "Post Back"
name....how about "Post Forward"? or something of the like...but definately
NOT the word, "cross post".

clintonG

I have to agree that verbiage is not well thought out.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Microsoft:
>
> In your new ASP.NET 2.0 page model of being able to crosspost to another
> page, it would seem that if you were to type that word in Google,
> "crosspost" or "cross post", you will get endless amount of results from

the
> newsgroup police complaining about posters cross posting to many

newsgroups
> as this very message is doing.
>
> So to those at Microsoft, and since posting your form results to another
> page is very very important in a web site, and probably a big big part of
> why .NET is so difficult, I recommend you find a better name than "cross
> post".
>
> Otherwise, when you do that Google or Yahoo search for "cross post" when
> trying to learn how to post to another page, you will get endless results
> from the newsgroup police. There is no let up in the newsgroup police
> complaining about cross posting, so don't think when ASP.NET comes out
> Google or whatever will be able to tell the difference as the "cross
> posting" complaints are never ending and are always current. If you do

that
> in newsgroups or in the Web, you will also get the same etiquette

complaints
> or web pages as well.
>
> You, Microsoft, are essentially choosing the exact same name as the
> newgroups police do in their complaints and will only confuse people more.
>
> Perhaps, you should using something on the lines of the "Post Back"
> name....how about "Post Forward"? or something of the like...but

definately
> NOT the word, "cross post".

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Don't cross post to so many groups! (oops, added to the FUD) ;->

While the idea certainly has merit, consider filtering to the ASP.NET group
and you will get fewer responses than dotnet alone. It is difficult to go to
another page in ASP.NET using the built in crud ... until Whidbey. You can
still use the same methodology as old ASP (ie, pull from the Response
object), but you lose some of the benefits. ViewState is another
possibility, as it is passed to the new page. Watch the ViewStateMac
settings, as it has to follow exact encoding, or you will get ViewState
corrupt.

NOTE: Yes, it is a pain. Much better in Whidbey.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Microsoft:
>
> In your new ASP.NET 2.0 page model of being able to crosspost to another
> page, it would seem that if you were to type that word in Google,
> "crosspost" or "cross post", you will get endless amount of results from

the
> newsgroup police complaining about posters cross posting to many

newsgroups
> as this very message is doing.
>
> So to those at Microsoft, and since posting your form results to another
> page is very very important in a web site, and probably a big big part of
> why .NET is so difficult, I recommend you find a better name than "cross
> post".
>
> Otherwise, when you do that Google or Yahoo search for "cross post" when
> trying to learn how to post to another page, you will get endless results
> from the newsgroup police. There is no let up in the newsgroup police
> complaining about cross posting, so don't think when ASP.NET comes out
> Google or whatever will be able to tell the difference as the "cross
> posting" complaints are never ending and are always current. If you do

that
> in newsgroups or in the Web, you will also get the same etiquette

complaints
> or web pages as well.
>
> You, Microsoft, are essentially choosing the exact same name as the
> newgroups police do in their complaints and will only confuse people more.
>
> Perhaps, you should using something on the lines of the "Post Back"
> name....how about "Post Forward"? or something of the like...but

definately
> NOT the word, "cross post".

anon

see what I mean....all you get in the search results is those from the
newsgroup police....

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%232910$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't cross post to so many groups! (oops, added to the FUD) ;->
>
> While the idea certainly has merit, consider filtering to the ASP.NET

group
> and you will get fewer responses than dotnet alone. It is difficult to go

> another page in ASP.NET using the built in crud ... until Whidbey. You can
> still use the same methodology as old ASP (ie, pull from the Response
> object), but you lose some of the benefits. ViewState is another
> possibility, as it is passed to the new page. Watch the ViewStateMac
> settings, as it has to follow exact encoding, or you will get ViewState
> corrupt.
>
> NOTE: Yes, it is a pain. Much better in Whidbey.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> ************************************************** ********************
> Think Outside the Box!
> ************************************************** ********************
> "anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear Microsoft:
> >
> > In your new ASP.NET 2.0 page model of being able to crosspost to another
> > page, it would seem that if you were to type that word in Google,
> > "crosspost" or "cross post", you will get endless amount of results from

> the
> > newsgroup police complaining about posters cross posting to many

> newsgroups
> > as this very message is doing.
> >
> > So to those at Microsoft, and since posting your form results to another
> > page is very very important in a web site, and probably a big big part

of
> > why .NET is so difficult, I recommend you find a better name than "cross
> > post".
> >
> > Otherwise, when you do that Google or Yahoo search for "cross post" when
> > trying to learn how to post to another page, you will get endless

results
> > from the newsgroup police. There is no let up in the newsgroup police
> > complaining about cross posting, so don't think when ASP.NET comes out
> > Google or whatever will be able to tell the difference as the "cross
> > posting" complaints are never ending and are always current. If you do

> that
> > in newsgroups or in the Web, you will also get the same etiquette

> complaints
> > or web pages as well.
> >
> > You, Microsoft, are essentially choosing the exact same name as the
> > newgroups police do in their complaints and will only confuse people

more.

> > Perhaps, you should using something on the lines of the "Post Back"
> > name....how about "Post Forward"? or something of the like...but

> definately
> > NOT the word, "cross post".

Cor

Hi Anon,

This written from the dotnet.languages.vb newsgroup,
Some of us active in this newsgroup are so happy in this newsgroup that we
do not have anymore a newsgroup police.

Please do not activate them again?
)

Cor

Kevin Spencer

Old Netiquettte Principle: Crossposting to newsgroups is a very BAD practice
to use

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Microsoft:
>
> In your new ASP.NET 2.0 page model of being able to crosspost to another
> page, it would seem that if you were to type that word in Google,
> "crosspost" or "cross post", you will get endless amount of results from

the
> newsgroup police complaining about posters cross posting to many

newsgroups
> as this very message is doing.
>
> So to those at Microsoft, and since posting your form results to another
> page is very very important in a web site, and probably a big big part of
> why .NET is so difficult, I recommend you find a better name than "cross
> post".
>
> Otherwise, when you do that Google or Yahoo search for "cross post" when
> trying to learn how to post to another page, you will get endless results
> from the newsgroup police. There is no let up in the newsgroup police
> complaining about cross posting, so don't think when ASP.NET comes out
> Google or whatever will be able to tell the difference as the "cross
> posting" complaints are never ending and are always current. If you do

that
> in newsgroups or in the Web, you will also get the same etiquette

complaints
> or web pages as well.
>
> You, Microsoft, are essentially choosing the exact same name as the
> newgroups police do in their complaints and will only confuse people more.
>
> Perhaps, you should using something on the lines of the "Post Back"
> name....how about "Post Forward"? or something of the like...but

definately
> NOT the word, "cross post".

anon

If use "back and forth", it matches the "back" and "forward" buttons on
Internet Explorer and all the other browsers anyway.

Crossposting and any variation of it will cause the same amount of confusion
like C# did to the job boards and users shouldn't have to wait 3 years for
the search engines to be modified to look for that # anyway and thus the
same for cross posting.