Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > (OT) Inexpensive Usenet options

(OT) Inexpensive Usenet options

Paul

Hi,

My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.

For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
check them out prior to getting a membership...

http://newsguy.com/mini.htm

~Paul

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
> decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
> with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
>
> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
> check them out prior to getting a membership...
>
> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm

newsguy is one of the absolute worst usenet providers on this planet.
do not even consider them. try something like eternal-september.org for
free, or news.individual.net for a very low fee. and i notice you are
posting from newsguy, are you a shill?

my isp used to use newsguy to provide usenet and ditched them for
incompetence and numerous other issues. among the problems were
multiple outages lasting for several days, sometimes as much as a full
week. that means *no* usenet *at all*. nothing. zip. newsguy only had
excuses such as 'hardware failure, sorry'. ever heard of backup
hardware? you don't take the *whole system down* and replace it when
there's no fallback plan.

one time, newsguy scheduled what was to be a 1-2 day upgrade over a
holiday weekend. that alone was an idiotic move, since a holiday
weekend is when people are not at work and might have some free time to
use usenet. something went wrong with the upgrade and the outage lasted
a week! they did get it working, but missing articles and connection
problems lingered for 2-3 weeks *after* that. i have never witnessed
such incompetence in many, many years.

newsguy's website only allowed access to status reports to those who
paid newsguy directly. people who had newsguy via an isp could not get
any update whatsoever, no matter how hard they tried. i could only find
hints that something was going on. in fact, isp users were never
informed there would be any outage, so when it happened, it was a
surprise. call my isp? i did, and they knew less than i did about what
was going on. newsguy.general was off limits to isp subscribers, so i
(and other isp customers) had *no* idea why the service was off.

i celebrated the day i heard they switched providers.

there are many usenet providers, and something *other* than newsguy
would be a very wise choice.

ray

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 +0000, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
> a decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't
> excited with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a
> look.
>
> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
> can check them out prior to getting a membership...
>
> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
>
> ~Paul

I've used news.individual.net for several years - one euro per month.

Dave Cohen

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
> decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
> with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
>
> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
> check them out prior to getting a membership...
>
> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
>
> ~Paul

I'm using motzarella. I believe there is a trivial one time setup fee.
It worked fine for ages although I'm seeing a strange problem with
sorting but only for this group. Possible it's Thunderbird. Anyway, it
seems to be reliable.

nospam

In article <h8rfeu$rmt$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Cohen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm using motzarella.

not anymore you aren't. they are now eternal-september.org.

> I believe there is a trivial one time setup fee.

nope.

> It worked fine for ages although I'm seeing a strange problem with
> sorting but only for this group. Possible it's Thunderbird. Anyway, it
> seems to be reliable.

occasionally it doesn't connect, but a few minutes later it does. it's
pretty damned good for free and *much* better than the crap that was
being shilled.

Bigguy

ray wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 +0000, Paul wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
>> a decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't
>> excited with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a
>> look.
>>
>> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
>> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
>> can check them out prior to getting a membership...
>>
>> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
>>
>> ~Paul

> I've used news.individual.net for several years - one euro per month.

Ditto here...

I'm happy with news.individual.net

Guy

iws

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:160920091126405444%(E-Mail Removed)...
| In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| > Hi,
| >
| > My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
| > decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
| > with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
| >
| > For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
| > search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
can
| > check them out prior to getting a membership...
| >
| > http://newsguy.com/mini.htm

Not that great a deal if you want binaries because you're limited to
3GB/month. So that's only 18GB for your $12. I bought a block of 180 GB from
astraweb for $25. That's about 1/5 the cost per GB and you're not on any
kind of a monthly schedule. Use the entire block in 1 week or 10 years -
doesn't matter.

Eric Stevens

On 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 GMT, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
>decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
>with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
>
>For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
>search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
>check them out prior to getting a membership...
>
>http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
>
>~Paul

Then there is http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

You should check out their Agent Premium News news feed options.

Eric Stevens

Dave Cohen

nospam wrote:
> In article <h8rfeu$rmt$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Cohen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm using motzarella.

> not anymore you aren't. they are now eternal-september.org.
>
>> I believe there is a trivial one time setup fee.

> nope.
>
>> It worked fine for ages although I'm seeing a strange problem with
>> sorting but only for this group. Possible it's Thunderbird. Anyway, it
>> seems to be reliable.

> occasionally it doesn't connect, but a few minutes later it does. it's
> pretty damned good for free and *much* better than the crap that was
> being shilled.

You're correct about the name. I figured anyone doing a search would get
the correct download. You are also correct about the fee. I was too lazy
to look it up. It was teranews that charged.

Mike Cawood, HND BIT

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 +0000, Paul wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
>> a decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't
>> excited with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a
>> look.
>>
>> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
>> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
>> can check them out prior to getting a membership...
>>
>> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
>>
>> ~Paul

> I've used news.individual.net for several years - one euro per month.

That service works fine & I use it but text only, no binary newsgroups.

Regards Mike.