Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Why Does My NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Device Driver Come True As An AutoUpdate In X64 Vista SP2?

Why Does My NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Device Driver Come True As An AutoUpdate In X64 Vista SP2?

kevpan815@gmail.com

In A Different Forum I Read The Advice Of A Microsoft MVP Who Said That
You Should Always Install Device Drivers From The OEM/Manufacturer. If
That Is The Case Then Why Does My NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Device Driver
Come True As An Automatic Update In X64 Vista Service Pack 2?

David B.

Because Windows update will feed you drivers, the advise you read was
correct, do not use WU drivers if possible, the the mfg drivers.

--

------
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In A Different Forum I Read The Advice Of A Microsoft MVP Who Said That
> You Should Always Install Device Drivers From The OEM/Manufacturer. If
> That Is The Case Then Why Does My NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Device Driver
> Come True As An Automatic Update In X64 Vista Service Pack 2?

Carlos

Kevin,
Windows Update will always offer you drivers for most of your hardware.
Use them only as a last resource if you can't get drivers from your piece of
hardware manufacturer or you don't know how to find them by yourself.
Carlos

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> In A Different Forum I Read The Advice Of A Microsoft MVP Who Said That
> You Should Always Install Device Drivers From The OEM/Manufacturer. If
> That Is The Case Then Why Does My NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Device Driver
> Come True As An Automatic Update In X64 Vista Service Pack 2?

Bobby Johnson

And if you see how many people are having problems getting hardware
drivers, other than printers, being installed via Windows Update you
will note their success rate is abominably low. For some unknown reason
people are not being encouraged to go to the vendors website for the
latest Windows 7 drivers. I've seen lots of anger because people are
now under the impression that Microsoft writes ALL hardware drivers!

However, for printers the advice is good. For what ever reason a
significant number of vendors are not posting Window 7 print drivers on
their websites, but providing them to Microsoft. When people go to
install a printer the default listing is very small and the only way to
get the full list is to let Windows Update in the Add a Printer windows
download the list and then select your printer.