Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: best free usenet access

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: best free usenet access

 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2009
In article <h8paoc$qdp$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet access? Preferably
>> free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can connect to it
>> from my usenet client and not through a web interface.

>
>I use a free service from Eternal September (previously called Motzarella).
>
>http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
>I find them reliable and worth far more than they cost.


Check out also
reader.news4all.se
aioe

And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all down to
definitions.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet access? Preferably
> free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can connect to it
> from my usenet client and not through a web interface.


I use a free service from Eternal September (previously called Motzarella).

http://www.eternal-september.org/

I find them reliable and worth far more than they cost.
--
Shaun.

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Dee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
vitw wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:28:32 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all down
>> to definitions.

>
> What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
> interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
> through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.


You appear to be using Pan (a nntp only reader) to post through Giganews
via orcon. So I'm not sure what you mean, still.

Register with any of the already mentioned services in this thread and use
Pan or any newsreader to post/read to them.

--
dee

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:28:32 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all down
>> to definitions.

>
>What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
>interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
>through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.


What I'm suggesting is that they are universally awful.
Once you've used 'real' news, you'll never go back.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Dee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
vitw wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 04:09:22 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>>>> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all
>>>> down to definitions.
>>>
>>>What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
>>>interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
>>>through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.

>>
>> What I'm suggesting is that they are universally awful. Once
>> you've used 'real' news, you'll never go back.

>
> I'm not sure why people are thinking I *prefer* a web-based reader. My OP
> said that I *don't* want one.
>
> And yes, I've been using real nntp clients for nearly 20 years (before
> the web even existed!) I'd never use a web-based news client if I could
> avoid it.


Still unsure what you mean. That is:

In your OP you asked: "Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet
access? Preferably free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can
connect to it from my usenet client and not through a web interface."

Yet your headers report that you're using Pan, a free OSS (NNTP only)
news-client, posting through a Giganews feed via news.orcon.net.nz. Pan
doesn't do http web access AFAIK.

If what you want is a free usenet server to post/read through? If so, some
were already mentioned in this thread.

I'm posting this response using Pan (free) and via Solani.org's NNTP
server on port 119 (news.solani.org - also free). So I'm having difficulty
in understanding what it is you actually mean by "real usenet access"
(because of how you are currently generating your posts).

--
dee

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Dee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
vitw wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:31:51 +1000, Mike Dee wrote:
>
>> Still unsure what you mean

>
> You're still misreading me.
>
> Mike, methinks you've been at your keyboard too long. Time to go for a
> nice walk through the spring night air and clear your head.


Just trying to understand, that is all. Still something that you haven't
actually explained, I think.

--
dee

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
In article <4ab07c46$(E-Mail Removed)>, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 04:09:22 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>>>> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all
>>>> down to definitions.
>>>
>>>What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
>>>interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
>>>through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.

>>
>> What I'm suggesting is that they are universally awful. Once
>> you've used 'real' news, you'll never go back.

>
>I'm not sure why people are thinking I *prefer* a web-based reader. My OP
>said that I *don't* want one.


Apologies.

>And yes, I've been using real nntp clients for nearly 20 years (before
>the web even existed!) I'd never use a web-based news client if I could
>avoid it.


I won't use news if a 'web interface' is all that's available.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2009
In article <4ab0a3c8$(E-Mail Removed)>, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:27:34 +1200, Crash wrote:
>
>> I suspect the OP meant that he wished to continue using an nntp client
>> and that accessing Usenet through a browser interface was not considered
>> desirable alternative.

>
>That's exactly what I meant


I can see how the original can be rad like that. Wasn't clear to me ... my
apologies.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2009
On 16 Sep 2009 18:50:52 +1200, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:31:51 +1000, Mike Dee wrote:
>
>> Still unsure what you mean

>
>You're still misreading me.
>
>Mike, methinks you've been at your keyboard too long. Time to go for a
>nice walk through the spring night air and clear your head.




And fill it full of polluting chimneys, no way at all to clear ones head
around here.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:57:30 GMT,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <4ab0a3c8$(E-Mail Removed)>, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:27:34 +1200, Crash wrote:
>>>
>>>> I suspect the OP meant that he wished to continue using an nntp client
>>>> and that accessing Usenet through a browser interface was not considered
>>>> desirable alternative.
>>>
>>>That's exactly what I meant

>>
>>I can see how the original can be rad like that. Wasn't clear to me ... my
>>apologies.

>
>I'm sure I typed an 'a' between 'considered' and 'desirable'. Usenet
>must have lost it


... must be with my "e" then.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Mike Easter Computer Support 5 01-18-2010 09:18 AM
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Tony Computer Support 0 01-17-2010 06:05 PM
Re: best free usenet access Dave Doe NZ Computing 1 09-16-2009 06:22 AM
ISP ending Usenet service: which free/cheap ones are best? AKT Digital Photography 52 09-02-2009 01:45 PM



Advertisments