Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > socket.MSG_WAITALL flag broken on Windows XP in Python 2.5.4?

socket.MSG_WAITALL flag broken on Windows XP in Python 2.5.4?

Wes McKinney

I noticed the flag socket.MSG_WAITALL seems to have crept its way into
Python 2.5 on Windows (it's in 2.5.4, but not in 2.5.1, not sure about
intermediate releases). I do not think Windows supports it. It seems
to cause some problems in some libraries (like Pyro) that use it if
it's available in the socket module.

Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks,
Wes

Irmen de Jong

Tim Roberts wrote:
> Wes McKinney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I noticed the flag socket.MSG_WAITALL seems to have crept its way into
>> Python 2.5 on Windows (it's in 2.5.4, but not in 2.5.1, not sure about
>> intermediate releases). I do not think Windows supports it. It seems
>> to cause some problems in some libraries (like Pyro) that use it if
>> it's available in the socket module.
>>
>> Does anyone know more about this?

> MSG_WAITALL is supported, starting with Windows Server 2003.
>
> It's a tough situation. Ideally, you'd want socket to remove that symbol
> on the systems where it's not supported, but that's asking a lot.

My installation doesn't have _socket.MSG_WAITALL, Wes, I wonder where yours is coming from?
(Python 2.5.4 and 2.5.2, on Windows XP. On my Mac (OS X) it does have the flag, and
it's working fine there.).

--irmen

Wes McKinney

On Sep 16, 3:53*pm, Irmen de Jong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tim Roberts wrote:
> > Wes McKinney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I noticed the flag socket.MSG_WAITALL seems to have crept its way into
> >> Python 2.5 on Windows (it's in 2.5.4, but not in 2.5.1, not sure about
> >> intermediate releases). I do not think Windows supports it. It seems
> >> to cause some problems in some libraries (like Pyro) that use it if
> >> it's available in the socket module.

> >> Does anyone know more about this?

> > MSG_WAITALL is supported, starting with Windows Server 2003.

> > It's a tough situation. *Ideally, you'd want socket to remove that symbol
> > on the systems where it's not supported, but that's asking a lot.

> My installation doesn't have _socket.MSG_WAITALL, Wes, I wonder where yours is coming from?
> (Python 2.5.4 and 2.5.2, on Windows XP. *On my Mac (OS X) it does have the flag, and
> it's working fine there.).
>
> --irmen

I am running what is apparently a custom Python 2.5.4 (part of the
Enthought Python Distribution) which should be identical to the one on
python.org, but is not. I contacted Enthought about the issue-- it can
be worked around in the Pyro configuration for the time being.

Thanks a lot for the debugging help,
Wes

Irmen de Jong

Wes McKinney wrote:

> I am running what is apparently a custom Python 2.5.4 (part of the
> Enthought Python Distribution) which should be identical to the one on
> python.org, but is not. I contacted Enthought about the issue-- it can
> be worked around in the Pyro configuration for the time being.
>
> Thanks a lot for the debugging help,
> Wes

Alternatively you could 'fix' your python installation by editing the socket.py
in your stdlib, so that it deletes the MSG_WAITALL symbol after importing it from
the builtin _socket module.

--irmen