Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why The Hell Should It Matter?

Why The Hell Should It Matter?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:

A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista installation,
should take 30-45 minutes.
With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to complete in
90 minutes or less.

Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS upgrade
process shouldn’t even be looking at that.

Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user data
from the OS installation?

Dave Doe

In article <4ab0538d$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:20:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> > Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user
> > data from the OS installation?

> What do you expect of a ****ed up operating system that hides piles of
> sensitive private user data underneath the file system, beyond the reach
> of a disk reformat?

Not with yer on that one. For most business's - user data is
(transparently) 'redirected' to the server ('Folder Redirection'
controlled by GPO).

For home users, well... most have one hard disk, so if the HDD fails,
even partitioning is useless, and it wastes space anyway.

--
Duncan

Matty F

On Sep 16, 2:55 pm, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:20:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user
> > data from the OS installation?

> What do you expect of a ****ed up operating system that hides piles of
> sensitive private user data underneath the file system, beyond the reach
> of a disk reformat?

Back in the 1970s it was decided that it was a Good Thing to keep the
OS, program object and application data completely separate from each
other. Why did Bill Gates forget this, or did he never learn this?

I remember the old mainframe days when an application went mad and
splattered data all the way up memory and obliterated the OS, which
then had to be reloaded. In one machine an all-zero word was not an
executable instruction so it stopped right there. In another machine
it was executable so ran up through tables of zeroes until it did
something very bad.

Craig Shore

<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

><http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:
>
> A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista installation,
> should take 30-45 minutes.
> With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to complete in
> 90 minutes or less.
>
>Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS upgrade
>process shouldn’t even be looking at that.
>
>Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user data
>from the OS installation?

It said at the bottom of the article why.

Windows setup is a meticulous, journaled process designed to be
error-proof and to be completely reversible; the more files you throw
at it, the longer the process will take, especially if the disk is
already full.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:
>
> A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista installation,
> should take 30-45 minutes.
> With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to complete in
> 90 minutes or less.
>
> Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS upgrade
> process shouldn’t even be looking at that.
>
> Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user data
> from the OS installation?

Vista and then 7 go a long way to enforcing this actually.

Old apps that stored preferences in the program files directories would
break unless run as an admin since there's in write access for
applications to those folders.

THe amount of user data didnt seem to make a difference when I did an
upgrade on several machines with the RC... All took about 25-35 mins.

Squiggle

Richard threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:
>>
>> A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista
>> installation,
>> should take 30-45 minutes.
>> With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to
>> complete in
>> 90 minutes or less.
>>
>> Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS
>> upgrade process shouldn’t even be looking at that.
>>
>> Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user
>> data from the OS installation?

> Vista and then 7 go a long way to enforcing this actually.
>
> Old apps that stored preferences in the program files directories
> would break unless run as an admin since there's in write access for
> applications to those folders.
>
> THe amount of user data didnt seem to make a difference when I did an
> upgrade on several machines with the RC... All took about 25-35 mins.

Rich, can you clarify, did you upgrade to the RC, or from the RC to the
RTM version?

Just asking because I seem to remember something being mentioned about
not being able to upgrade from the RC to the Release version when I was
installing the RC a while back. And since if have the RTM version to
install when I get a chance it would be nice to avoid a full reinstall
if possible.

Regards

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:

> It said at the bottom of the article why.
>
> Windows setup is a meticulous, journaled process designed to be
> error-proof and to be completely reversible ...

Reversibility would only impact the files that are being replaced--i.e. the
previous OS installation. It shouldn't be impacting, or be impacted by, user
data at all.

Richard

Squiggle wrote:

>> THe amount of user data didnt seem to make a difference when I did an
>> upgrade on several machines with the RC... All took about 25-35 mins.

> Rich, can you clarify, did you upgrade to the RC, or from the RC to the
> RTM version?
>
> Just asking because I seem to remember something being mentioned about
> not being able to upgrade from the RC to the Release version when I was
> installing the RC a while back. And since if have the RTM version to
> install when I get a chance it would be nice to avoid a full reinstall
> if possible.

To the RC from vista - one was 32 bit the others 64 bit.