Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Can anyone here see the error at the URL shown? TIA

Re: Can anyone here see the error at the URL shown? TIA

why?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:49:03 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

Fixed it, once I found out I could read and add , not forgetting
subtract

In the CSS.

The overall container is 960, navmenu is 958 and some thought process
involved,

#navmenu { width:958px; height:33px;
background:url(../images/menubar_bg.gif); border-left:1px solid #FFF;
border-right:1px solid #FFF; }

Change width to 960, remove the border-left -right. If you leave the
border in, it sticks out over the 960 container.

#navmenu { width:960px; height:33px;
background:url(../images/menubar_bg.gif); }

>On 08/09/2009 08:14, N. Miller wrote:
> > ~BD~ wrote:

<snip>

>Although the page appears correctly in Firefox and IE8, there is a major
>slip-up when viewed with Safari. Not an error one might expect from a
>firm advocating that their products can fix everything! (after the "50%
>off" the Windows Vista Compatible part is offset to the rhs by about 2
>inches! Indeed, that whole section has moved to the right).
>
>FWIW

Me

why?

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:18:16 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

>Hello 'you' !
>
>Thanks for helping me better understand matters. I discovered that
>Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a simple mechanism for adding style

it can be not so simple at times. Selectors are a good example and
are very well worth learning,
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/

>(e.g. fonts, colors, spacing) to Web documents.

That's exactly what it's for and sadly not used enough.

>By changing the size of the fonts (in Safari) the 'error' was corrected.

>Fascinating stuff!

It can be,
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://meyerweb.com/

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

This is really handy, it's the CSS for HTML 4, so you can see exactly
what is behind h1, p, ol , strong and so on.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/sample.html

You may also like to wander over to the newsgroup alt.html , read and
get a feel for things first.

Me