Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MED PPSR - borked

MED PPSR - borked

Me

Why is it that the MED PPSR (personal properties security register) is
borked.
The website won't allow new registration - it rejects any field in the
"area code" phone number field.
Their reply by SMS service won't work either - it doesn't receive texts.
Cost per search in the MED database is $1.00.
Commercial services are available - which access the same database - but
cost $3 per search. Nice money - if you can make it.
Perhaps someone in MED with a "mate" running a private service has
borked this on purpose.

Stephen Worthington

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:03:48 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why is it that the MED PPSR (personal properties security register) is
>borked.
>The website won't allow new registration - it rejects any field in the
>"area code" phone number field.
>Their reply by SMS service won't work either - it doesn't receive texts.
>Cost per search in the MED database is $1.00.
>Commercial services are available - which access the same database - but
>cost $3 per search. Nice money - if you can make it.
>Perhaps someone in MED with a "mate" running a private service has
>borked this on purpose.

The minimal cost is to prevent abuse of the register by people using
it for nefarious purposes. At $1 per go, most normal users have no
problem. But the bad guys doing 20,000 automated searches are
deterred.