Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firewall for Windows Server 2000

Firewall for Windows Server 2000

Ray Greene

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:05:46 +1200, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <h8pbg5$7p2$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:51:06 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> >says...

>> >Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
>> >Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
>> >download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
>> >it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
>> >(including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)
>> >

>> That will be worth checking out, Sygate had a good reputation as I recall.

>My firewall of choice, and the reason why my machine is still running XP
>Pro_SP1. One of the really nice things about it is, you can simply run
>it at a 'shallow' level by adopting a policy and it will work fine, or
>you can get really snarky and limit access right down to mac addresses
>and IPs & generate rules on an application by application level if
>you're so inclined. I'm very pleased with it.
>It's got one bug: if it notifies that it has blocked an app from
>accessing the network you have a tick box on the notification window to
>turn notifications off. Doesn't work -- you have to turn notification
>off from the main options screen for it to get saved. Other than that
>... well, it's a good idea to turn off auto-update checking for obvious
>reasons
>
>I've installed Comodo on several machines and on two of them it's borked
>majorly so I will not trust it with my main machine. Wouldn't work for
>you in any event since it requires XP SP2 minimum (last time I set it
>up, that was).

Thanks for the tips Peter. I just rememered we had Sygate installed on
a work machine some years ago. We're running Symantec on everything
now, I'll have to ask the boss if I can have the old license!

I made a mistake in another post, Sygate is what Symantec used in
Endpoint Protection, not Kerio.

--
Ray Greene

Enkidu

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:09:16 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> What model is it? I've not had any problems with HP servers and getting
>> Linux to run on them.
>>

> It's an ML330 G2.
>
> The second time I tried it, I downloaded a setup CD from HP - can't
> remember what it was called now - but that didn't help.
> I could boot it from a boot disk and it would then run from the HDD
> but I just couldn't get it to boot from the HDD.

Mmm, I know the disk - proliant essential quick start or similar. I'm
not familiar with the ML330. It appears to use a RAID controller that
I've not come across though it is a "Smart Array" which usually uses the
cciss drivers (which come with Redhat but I don't know about other
distros). You might have to find linux drivers for the Smart Raid from
the HP site. That's my best guess.

Cheers,

Cliff

Ray Greene

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:10:09 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:09:16 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What model is it? I've not had any problems with HP servers and getting
>>> Linux to run on them.
>>>

>> It's an ML330 G2.
>>
>> The second time I tried it, I downloaded a setup CD from HP - can't
>> remember what it was called now - but that didn't help.
>> I could boot it from a boot disk and it would then run from the HDD
>> but I just couldn't get it to boot from the HDD.
>>

>Mmm, I know the disk - proliant essential quick start or similar. I'm
>not familiar with the ML330. It appears to use a RAID controller that
>I've not come across though it is a "Smart Array" which usually uses the
>cciss drivers (which come with Redhat but I don't know about other
>distros). You might have to find linux drivers for the Smart Raid from
>the HP site. That's my best guess.

Yes that's the CD. I was trying to install Debian.
I might have another try one day, if I do I'll have a look for the
RAID drivers first.

--
Ray Greene

Ray Greene

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:38:39 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:23:01 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:10:09 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Mmm, I know the disk - proliant essential quick start or similar. I'm
>>>not familiar with the ML330. It appears to use a RAID controller that
>>>I've not come across though it is a "Smart Array" which usually uses the
>>>cciss drivers (which come with Redhat but I don't know about other
>>>distros). You might have to find linux drivers for the Smart Raid from
>>>the HP site. That's my best guess.
>>>

>> Yes that's the CD. I was trying to install Debian.
>> I might have another try one day, if I do I'll have a look for the
>> RAID drivers first.

>Perhaps you have the Hp netraid 1M/2M Raid controller,it's supposed to use
>the megaraid_mbox kernel module as its driver, but has been removed and is
>now unsupported.

OK, thanks.

--
Ray Greene

Mark C

Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>
> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old
> machine I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on
> it.

I use Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 on Windows 2000 Server myself.

http://web.archive.org/web/200404041...1.5-en-win.exe
http://tinyurl.com/kpf215

(The file at the link above is the same vesion I downloaded from
the Kerio site on Sept 2003.
MD5: 0da51e1414eb4622860795278ac756be
CRC32: ed34b942)

It is old and leaky(*), but works well and is very configurable.

* Leaky, don't worry: For comparison, Windows XP firewall is 100%
'leaky' by design. Leaky means that the firewall won't necessarily
stop malware running on the PC from making outgoing connections to
infect other PCs on your network or the internet. KPF 2.1.5 can be
configured to restrict outgoing, but sneaky malware can bypass
those restrictions.
http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=204791977
If you get infected, having a leaky firewall may be the least of
your worries!

--
Mark