Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firewall for Windows Server 2000

Firewall for Windows Server 2000

Sailor Sam

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:40:14 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:

>>> VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
>>> properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
>>> to need a spare PC for.
>>>

>> Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
>> you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
>> firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

> I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I can
> just find a firewall for Server 2K.

Install linux, then run your server inside a vm on that

Ray Greene

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:52:56 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:40:14 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
>>> you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
>>> firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

>> I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I can
>> just find a firewall for Server 2K.
>>

>Install linux, then run your server inside a vm on that

Tried that but despite spending many hours on it I couldn't get Linux
to boot. Those old HP servers can be a pain in the arse to set up
sometimes.

--
Ray Greene

Dave Doe

says...
> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>
> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

Whatever happenned to Kerio (they had a name before that, but I can't
remember it now). Maybe an old version of ISA might work too?

But, if I were you, I'd use a seperate firewall appliance - Sonicwall or
somethin' like that. I wouldn't recommend a cheapo router.

I don't know what you want to use it for, but it's likely the only ports
you may need open are:

It's been years since I've been to grc.com - but he may still have his
port checking page up.

--
Duncan

AD.

On Sep 15, 7:12*pm, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>
> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

Does the old built in IP Filter stuff do the trick?

It's been a long time, but from memory it was under some advanced
options tab of the IP settings. It was pretty limited though.

Also, there is built in IP Security policy stuff you can do that also
does traffic filtering (it wasn't just for IPSEC VPNs). This was more
powerful, but not very user friendly.

But you will probably find these things too fiddly and painful to
bother with

--
Cheers
Anton

EMB

Dave Doe wrote:

> Whatever happenned to Kerio (they had a name before that, but I can't
> remember it now).

Now Sunbelt.

Peter Huebner

says...

> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>
> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
(including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)

-P.

Enkidu

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:52:56 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:

>>> I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I
>>> can just find a firewall for Server 2K.
>>>

>> Install linux, then run your server inside a vm on that

> Tried that but despite spending many hours on it I couldn't get Linux
> to boot. Those old HP servers can be a pain in the arse to set up
> sometimes.

What model is it? I've not had any problems with HP servers and getting
Linux to run on them.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h8nlps$80i$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
> infects the server ...

In which case, the firewall failed in its purpose, so what difference does
it make?

Ray Greene

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:51:06 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>>
>> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
>> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

>Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
>Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
>download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
>it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
>(including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)

That will be worth checking out, Sygate had a good reputation as I recall.

--
Ray Greene

Peter Huebner

In article <h8pbg5$7p2$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:51:06 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> >says...
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
> >>
> >> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
> >> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

> >Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
> >Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
> >download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
> >it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
> >(including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)
> >

> That will be worth checking out, Sygate had a good reputation as I recall.

My firewall of choice, and the reason why my machine is still running XP
Pro_SP1. One of the really nice things about it is, you can simply run
it at a 'shallow' level by adopting a policy and it will work fine, or
you can get really snarky and limit access right down to mac addresses
and IPs & generate rules on an application by application level if
you're so inclined. I'm very pleased with it.
It's got one bug: if it notifies that it has blocked an app from
accessing the network you have a tick box on the notification window to
turn notifications off. Doesn't work -- you have to turn notification
off from the main options screen for it to get saved. Other than that
.... well, it's a good idea to turn off auto-update checking for obvious
reasons

I've installed Comodo on several machines and on two of them it's borked
majorly so I will not trust it with my main machine. Wouldn't work for
you in any event since it requires XP SP2 minimum (last time I set it
up, that was).

-P.