Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firewall for Windows Server 2000

Firewall for Windows Server 2000

Ray Greene

Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?

Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

--
Ray Greene

EMB

Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>
> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

DO NOT run a firewall on the server as it defeats the purpose - use a
separate box/appliance/whatever. I'd suggest recycling an old PC with
IPCop, Smoothwall or similar.

Ray Greene

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:30:14 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>>
>> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
>> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.
>>

>DO NOT run a firewall on the server as it defeats the purpose - use a
>separate box/appliance/whatever. I'd suggest recycling an old PC with
>IPCop, Smoothwall or similar.

I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
might as well use it as is.

-
Ray Greene

EMB

Ray Greene wrote:
> I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
> In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
> It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
> might as well use it as is.

It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
infects the server, hence my recommendation. What have you got that
needs Win2K Server rather than XP to run as a home app?

Sailor Sam

Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>
> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

What do you plan on using the machine for?

Ray Greene

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:12:40 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
>> In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
>> It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
>> might as well use it as is.

>It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
>infects the server, hence my recommendation. What have you got that
>needs Win2K Server rather than XP to run as a home app?

I don't understand what you mean sorry. Are you saying that it's
easier to infect Server 2000 than XP?

As I said the machine came with a server licence, I'm not going to
shell out for an XP license for it.

--
Ray Greene

Sailor Sam

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:12:40 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>> I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
>>> In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
>>> It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
>>> might as well use it as is.

>> It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
>> infects the server, hence my recommendation. What have you got that
>> needs Win2K Server rather than XP to run as a home app?

> I don't understand what you mean sorry. Are you saying that it's
> easier to infect Server 2000 than XP?
>
> As I said the machine came with a server licence, I'm not going to
> shell out for an XP license for it.

Don't mind him, he's jumped to a massive conclusion, and is going to
berate you for it.

Ray Greene

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:37 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>>
>> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
>> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.
>>

>What do you plan on using the machine for?

VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
to need a spare PC for.

--
Ray Greene

Sailor Sam

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:37 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
>>>
>>> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
>>> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.
>>>

>> What do you plan on using the machine for?

> VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
> properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
> to need a spare PC for.

Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

Ray Greene

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:40:14 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:37 +1200, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> What do you plan on using the machine for?

>> VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
>> properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
>> to need a spare PC for.
>>

>Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
>you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
>firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I can
just find a firewall for Server 2K.

--
Ray Greene