Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > change your password day

change your password day

Roedy Green

The Australian government recommends changing your passwords at least
twice a year. They even have a "change your password day", I think in
early June. Does anyone know exactly when it is, how you compute when
it is, and when it was first "celebrated"?

Oddly I could not discover this with 30 minutes of Googling and
sending an email to the government department.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The telephone is the greatest single enemy of scholarship; for what our intellectual forebears used to inscribe in ink now goes once over a wire into permanent oblivion."
~ Dr. Stephen Jay Gould (born: 1941-09-10 died: 2002-05-02 at age: 60)

Arne Vajh°j

Roedy Green wrote:
> The Australian government recommends changing your passwords at least
> twice a year. They even have a "change your password day", I think in
> early June. Does anyone know exactly when it is, how you compute when
> it is, and when it was first "celebrated"?
>
> Oddly I could not discover this with 30 minutes of Googling and
> sending an email to the government department.

And this is relevant for Java because ??

Arne

PS: http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/med...eches/2009/020

Mike Schilling

Roedy Green wrote:
> The Australian government recommends changing your passwords at least
> twice a year. They even have a "change your password day", I think in
> early June. Does anyone know exactly when it is, how you compute when
> it is, and when it was first "celebrated"?

There's a website that describes all this, but I can't seem to log into it.

Roedy Green

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:46:50 -0700, "Mike Schilling"
someone who said :

>There's a website that describes all this, but I can't seem to log into it.

I found that. I wrote to them. Seems for a government website to
require a secret password to get public info.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The telephone is the greatest single enemy of scholarship; for what our intellectual forebears used to inscribe in ink now goes once over a wire into permanent oblivion."
~ Dr. Stephen Jay Gould (born: 1941-09-10 died: 2002-05-02 at age: 60)

Roedy Green

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:40:32 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>

>And this is relevant for Java because ??

Because passwords are crucial to the management of Java-based
websites. They are part of the skillset required of all Java
programmers.

They are not off-topic is the same sense cheap blue jeans, knock off
watches or sex toys are.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The telephone is the greatest single enemy of scholarship; for what our intellectual forebears used to inscribe in ink now goes once over a wire into permanent oblivion."
~ Dr. Stephen Jay Gould (born: 1941-09-10 died: 2002-05-02 at age: 60)

Roedy Green

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:40:32 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>

>And this is relevant for Java because ??

If you interpreted the topic guidelines rigidly, you could only
discuss the Java language and the standard class libraries. 3rd party
libraries, optional libraries, algorithms, JSP... would all be off
topic. This would be pretty dull and repetitive.

Someone could not ask about *.tld files for tags for example because
they are XML, not Java.

In my view, newsgroups represent a community that have a common pool
of knowledge. It makes sense to ask questions from that common pool.
That view admits a broader permissible range of topics.

Once a conversation gets going, drift is inevitable. That's where you
are most likely to learn something new.

To avoid wasting others's time, I think it important to reveal the
topic clearly in the title line. Then people can easily avoid the
topic if it is not of interest. Quite often I bypass posts ON topic.
The sort of title that deserves mild censure is "I need help" or
"Program not working". Usually this signifies a clueless newbie who
has no idea what his problem is.

I get more steamed than most by ads for completely unrelated good
posted. Some people seem even more annoyed by mildly off topic posts
than by these pests.

There have been days go by without a new topic introduced. Under these
low traffic conditions, I don't think it necessary to be rigid. I
notice the more specific groups have withered away, and people are
asking their JDBC questions for example in comp.lang.java.programmer.
If the traffic increases, then it would be appropriate to push that
stuff back into its own newsgroup and tighten up topic specificity.

I also think that people who post a lot should be given more latitude.
It would not make sense to join some other newsgroup where they are
unknown and ignorable just to ask one question, when they strongly
suspect someone in their home territory knows the answer. If they
have never posted before, and they ask an off-topic question, best to
send them to a different group where they can become established and
ask similar questions.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The telephone is the greatest single enemy of scholarship; for what our intellectual forebears used to inscribe in ink now goes once over a wire into permanent oblivion."
~ Dr. Stephen Jay Gould (born: 1941-09-10 died: 2002-05-02 at age: 60)

Roedy Green

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:04:29 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
someone who said :

>Here's a hint: if you on a regular basis find yourself having to defend
>posts described by others as "off-topic" (and you do), you really should
>consider that your idea of "on-topic" really isn't the same as the rest of
>the community's, and that you should try harder to keep your off-topic
>impulses under control.

You could either plonk me or delete those threads. You don't. Ask
yourself why.
--

someone who said :

>The same thing could be said for paying your bills on time. That doesn't
>make it relevant for the Java programming newsgroup.

I get the impression your motive in debate is primarily putting others
down. The topic is almost irrelevant.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The telephone is the greatest single enemy of scholarship; for what our intellectual forebears used to inscribe in ink now goes once over a wire into permanent oblivion."
~ Dr. Stephen Jay Gould (born: 1941-09-10 died: 2002-05-02 at age: 60)

Roedy Green

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:39:14 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
someone who said :

>> yourself why.

>I already explained that: killfiling you doesn't get rid of the threads,
>because unlike the regular spam, people still reply to your posts.

does not your newsreader let you mark a thread as "ignore"?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The telephone is the greatest single enemy of scholarship; for what our intellectual forebears used to inscribe in ink now goes once over a wire into permanent oblivion."
~ Dr. Stephen Jay Gould (born: 1941-09-10 died: 2002-05-02 at age: 60)

Martin Gregorie

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:17:29 +0100, Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:

> On that note, an article I find interesting:
> <http://www.baekdal.com/articles/Usability/password-security-usability>
>
> Too bad alot of places don't allow spaces.

Good article. Thanks for posting the link.

When it comes to stopping automated cracks, I always liked a trick that
DEC's VMS used: after three consecutive failed login attempts the login
program stopped trying to apply the username/password combo but went on
prompting - this way the would be cracker never knew he was getting
nowhere and, because this was in the dial-up era, ended up with a big
phone bill as well. The account remained locked out until the sysadmin
reset it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK