Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64-bit vs. Windows 7

XP 64-bit vs. Windows 7

JS

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am putting together an AM3 socket DDR3 computer using latest ASUS MB with
> AMD Phenom II 810 X4 CPU.
>
> Should I install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate or XP 64-bit on my computer so
> that I have less of a headache in terms of driver compatbility,
> applications,
> etc...
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks!

Vista really got the 64-bit movement going
but Windows 7 64-bit will most likely be
the predominant OS on new computers sold
after 7 is officially released.

So in short 7 is the future, XP 64-bit is not going to
have very many drivers written for any new hardware,
so it will not be long for this world.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Zootal

I notice that my message no longer appears on Microsoft's news server.
Giganews, which has 4.5 years of history, and Google Groups both have
it. Looks like Microsoft deletes messages that they don't like. Is
that why everyone here likes Win7? MS deletes messages that say
something negative about it or that they just don't like in general?

On Sep 12, 9:50*am, "Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What are you used to? Do you have the time and desire to learn Windows 7?
> Have you used XP64 before and are aware of the limitations? Do you already
> have a license for XP64 that you can use, likewise for Win 7?
>
> If you have a license for Win7 already it, install it and see if it works
> for you. You can always remove it and install XP64.
>
> XP64 seems to be one of Microsoft's bastard children. Going forward you will
> find more/better support if you use Win 7 then XP64. XP64 will slowly become
> obsolete and manufacturers will stop making drivers for it. YMMV...there are
> reasons to stay with XP, there are reasons to go with Win 7. Add them up and
> see which one is more appealing. You will find most people here in this
> newsgroup like Windows 7 (this is a Microsoft newsgroup, after all) and
> won't hesitate to tell you why. Out there in the real world, I'm finding a
> lot of people that prefer XP, mostly because 1) they hate what MS did to the
> start menu/taskbar and MS did not include a backwards compability mode and
> 2) XP works and there is no reason to upgrade.
>
> "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I am putting together an AM3 socket DDR3 computer using latest ASUS MB with
> > AMD Phenom II 810 X4 CPU.

> > Should I install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate or XP 64-bit on my computer so
> > that I have less of a headache in terms of driver compatbility,
> > applications,
> > etc...

> > Please advise.

> > Thanks!

Rainer

Hi Alessandro,

> I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports it.
> I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no problems.

Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
driver from NVIDIA
(190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql) I get to see the
"blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall the
graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every thing
is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA driver, and
with next startup I see the blue screen again

Regards
Rainer

Alessandro

Rainer wrote:
> Hi Alessandro,
>
>> I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports
>> it. I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no
>> problems.

> Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
> driver from NVIDIA
> (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql) I get to see the
> "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall the
> graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every thing
> is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA driver, and
> with next startup I see the blue screen again
>
> Regards
> Rainer

That's strange. The drivers are working for me with no problems so far.
You should check your crash dump files.

Alex

mikeyhsd

NVIDIA has always been last kid on the block on getting new drivers out for
the last 3-4 beta programs.
one reason I always use ATI/AMD video products.
they seem to make a better effort in keeping up.

"Rainer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Alessandro,
>
>> I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports it.
>> I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no
>> problems.

> Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
> driver from NVIDIA (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql)
> I get to see the "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" ,
> deinstall the graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode,
> every thing is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA
> driver, and with next startup I see the blue screen again
>
> Regards
> Rainer

Alessandro

mikeyhsd wrote:
> NVIDIA has always been last kid on the block on getting new drivers out
> for the last 3-4 beta programs.
> one reason I always use ATI/AMD video products.
> they seem to make a better effort in keeping up.
>

> "Rainer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Alessandro,
>>
>>> I'm sure it's not the 9500GT 'cause NVIDIA still officially supports
>>> it. I also used a similar model on this system (Win7 RTM x64) with no
>>> problems.

>> Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most
>> actual driver from NVIDIA
>> (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql) I get to see
>> the "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall
>> the graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every
>> thing is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA
>> driver, and with next startup I see the blue screen again
>>
>> Regards
>> Rainer

The ATI drivers were so bad that i could not use them. Also, check how
many different operating systems NVIDIA is supporting (more than AMD/ATI).
I also have an HD 4870 (they're much cheaper than NVIDIA here where i
live) and i really like it. The problem is that they don't care to give
you a proper implementation of the latest opengl standards (while NVIDIA
does). The right hardware for the right task. If you use OpenGL (games
-even if most of them are now using DirectX only-, programs -blender,
wings3d, photoshop-) NVIDIA is better, if you don't ATI is ok.
Personally, i like them both.

Alex

Zootal

"Alessandro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> mikeyhsd wrote:
>> NVIDIA has always been last kid on the block on getting new drivers out
>> for the last 3-4 beta programs.
>> one reason I always use ATI/AMD video products.
>> they seem to make a better effort in keeping up.
>>

>> "Rainer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Alessandro,

>>> Well to me it looks like it is. Eventhough I downloaded the most actual
>>> driver from NVIDIA
>>> (190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql) I get to see the
>>> "blue screen". After I then start in the "safe mode" , deinstall the
>>> graphic card, and restart the system again in normal mode, every thing
>>> is fine. Unfortunately Windows7 the reinstalls the NVIDIA driver, and
>>> with next startup I see the blue screen again
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Rainer

> The ATI drivers were so bad that i could not use them. Also, check how
> many different operating systems NVIDIA is supporting (more than AMD/ATI).
> I also have an HD 4870 (they're much cheaper than NVIDIA here where i
> live) and i really like it. The problem is that they don't care to give
> you a proper implementation of the latest opengl standards (while NVIDIA
> does). The right hardware for the right task. If you use OpenGL
> (games -even if most of them are now using DirectX only-,
> programs -blender, wings3d, photoshop-) NVIDIA is better, if you don't ATI
> is ok. Personally, i like them both.
>
> Alex

ATI has a history of buggy drivers, but they got over that a few years ago.
Unfortunately, for the last six months or so their drivers have had OpenGL
and install issues. 9.2 or 9.3 drivers are very stable, and I notice they
released version 9.9 just a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to try
them.

nVidia introduced a somewhat rare problem with their 64 bit drivers about a
year or so ago that causes a blue screen, error managing PEMS or something
like that. I found a lot of people having the problem but no solution. I've
been using ATI cards since then. Unfortunately, no one makes perfect
drivers, neither ATI nor nVidia. The good news is that if the current
version is buggy, there is almost always an older version that works good.