Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bootable USB for bootable ISO image?

Bootable USB for bootable ISO image?

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

Is there a way to do this?

The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
does support USB boot BTW).

why?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:54:37 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Is there a way to do this?

Yes, extract the files from the ISO and copy to USB stick.

>The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It

Any particular Linux?

>works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
>does support USB boot BTW).

Worked with Ubuntu a few months ago, seemed simple enough.

1st google search hit for boot linux usb

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Me

Jordon

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
> works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
> does support USB boot BTW).

Bootable ISO images are bootable on whatever
media you put them on so long as the BIOS
will boot to the media. The problem is getting
the ISO on the media. Most programs that put
an image on a CD don't support putting them
on a flash drive. Some that are free, do. But
what you use would depend on the OS on the PC,
which you haven't mentioned. If Windows, try...

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

--
Jordon

hwf

(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a
steaming pile of<3bc0d633-a4ba-446c-866f-
(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Is there a way to do this?
>
> The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
> works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
> does support USB boot BTW).

Theres plenty of USB optimised linux distros.
Xposted to appropriate newsgroup.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks.

Name it. See below.

> It
> works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
> does support USB boot BTW).

Depending on the linux distro, many linuxes support -1- booting from the
live CD and then -2- installing the distro to a bootable USB flashdrive.

--
Mike Easter

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On Sep 11, 3:15*pm, Jordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Is there a way to do this?

> > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
> > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
> > does support USB boot BTW).

> Bootable ISO images are bootable on whatever
> media you put them on so long as the BIOS
> will boot to the media. The problem is getting
> the ISO on the media. Most programs that put
> an image on a CD don't support putting them
> on a flash drive. Some that are free, do. But
> what you use would depend on the OS on the PC,
> which you haven't mentioned. If Windows, try...
>
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
>
> --
> Jordon

Its actually an acronis boot cd - looks like some sort of linux
minimal thing to be honest.

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On Sep 11, 3:15*pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:54:37 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed)
> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to do this?

> Yes, extract the files from the ISO and copy to USB stick.
>
> >The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It

> Any particular Linux?
>
> >works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
> >does support USB boot BTW).

> Worked with Ubuntu a few months ago, seemed simple enough.
>
> 1st google search hit for boot linux usb
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
>
> Me

Yes. But that doesnt copy the boot sector stuff, does it?

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On Sep 11, 6:56*pm, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks.

> Name it. *See below.
>
> > It
> > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
> > does support USB boot BTW).

> Depending on the linux distro, many linuxes support -1- booting from the
> live CD and then -2- installing the distro to a bootable USB flashdrive.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Its not a linux distro. Its actually the boot CD that acronis backup
and restore produces. It just looks like linux. It might not be.