Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Silent print solution in JSP application ?

Silent print solution in JSP application ?

Krist

dear sir,

In our JSF/JSP application we have requirement to print Invoice from
client side on web browser.

The requirement is : when user press print button, the report get
printed to printer silently (without any previewing on client side ) ?

Thank you,
Krist

Lew

Krist wrote:
> dear sir,
>
> In our JSF/JSP application we have requirement to print Invoice from
> client side on web browser.
>
> The requirement is : when user press print button, the report get
> printed to printer silently (without any previewing on client side ) ?

Every browser I've used has a print button. How silent that is depends on
whether you're using a line printer, dot matrix, laser, ink jet, ...

Whether they preview it is not controllable from the server side. It's client
behavior and therefore outside the server application's demesne.

For fine-grained control of the appearance of the printed matter, use
something like iText to generate an RTF or PDF version. Again, whether that
goes directly to printer is controlled by client-side settings, not server side.

--
Lew

Wojtek

Krist wrote :
> dear sir,
>
> In our JSF/JSP application we have requirement to print Invoice from
> client side on web browser.
>
> The requirement is : when user press print button, the report get
> printed to printer silently (without any previewing on client side ) ?

Use javascript.print()

Google javascript print for examples and so forth

--
Wojtek

Wojtek

Lew wrote :
> Krist wrote:
>> dear sir,
>>
>> In our JSF/JSP application we have requirement to print Invoice from
>> client side on web browser.
>>
>> The requirement is : when user press print button, the report get
>> printed to printer silently (without any previewing on client side ) ?

> Every browser I've used has a print button.

Not if you open a new window and specify that there is to be no
toolbar.

google javascript window open

> How silent that is depends on
> whether you're using a line printer, dot matrix, laser, ink jet, ...

LOL

--
Wojtek

Andrew Thompson

On Sep 12, 11:27*pm, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wojtek <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Lew wrote :

> >> Every browser I've used has a print button.

> > Not if you open a new window and specify that there is to be no
> > toolbar.

> So, don't do that. ...

Agreed. For the person that suggested that, note that
'Ctrl n' in one of the more popular browsers will produce
that same page in a proper windowed browser view - so it
is easy to blow away any 'security' provided by lack of
a toolbar (but still irritating to see it used).

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

Lothar Kimmeringer

Krist wrote:

> dear sir,

there are no madams in cljp?

> In our JSF/JSP application we have requirement to print Invoice from
> client side on web browser.

Change that requirement, it's useless. You're not able to let the
client choose which printer should be used with the effect that e.g.
in my case you would try to fax it.

> The requirement is : when user press print button, the report get
> printed to printer silently (without any previewing on client side ) ?

Are the users unknown, i.e. not inside an intranet: Forget it.
If they are inside an intranet, the JSP-server can print on the
user's printer directly which would solve yuor problem.

Regards, Lothar
--
Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

questions!

Arne Vajh°j

Lothar Kimmeringer wrote:
> Krist wrote:
>> dear sir,

> there are no madams in cljp?

May depend on what meaning of "madam" you are talking about.

Arme

Wojtek

Andrew Thompson wrote :
> On Sep 12, 11:27*pm, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Wojtek <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Not if you open a new window and specify that there is to be no
>>> toolbar.

>> So, don't do that. ...

> Agreed. For the person that suggested that, note that
> 'Ctrl n' in one of the more popular browsers will produce
> that same page in a proper windowed browser view - so it
> is easy to blow away any 'security' provided by lack of
> a toolbar (but still irritating to see it used).

No, not security. ALL security is handled at the server.

I create a totally "empty" browser window, just a frame really. I gain
quite a bit of real estate in the process (internal web app).

--
Wojtek

jatima123 jatima123 is offline
Junior Member

ActiveTree offers both online silent printing for free and also makes the silent printing web application downloadable for free to install and use from your own system,

Check SmartJPrint downloadable at http://www.activetree.com