Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Security software recommendation

Re: Security software recommendation

1PW

robgraham wrote:
> I want to be able to ensure that some of the data on several separate
> computers is secure if the computers were stolen, plus I want to be able to
> encrypt sensitive emails between these and any other computers.
>
> One method would be to set up an encrypted folder using software such as
> Paragon Encrypted Disc and make sure all sensitive data was within it, and
> to use Verisign to encrypt emails. But I don't know whether this is the best
> route. Does anyone have any advice for me?
>
> Ta
>
> Rob Graham

Hello Rob:

TrueCrypt is also a viable alternative for file encryption.

<http://www.truecrypt.org/>

PGP/GnuPG are well recognized email encryption processes with a good
reputations.

<http://www.pgp.com/>

<http://www.gnupg.org/>

--
1PW

Todd H.

1PW <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> robgraham wrote:
>> I want to be able to ensure that some of the data on several separate
>> computers is secure if the computers were stolen, plus I want to be able to
>> encrypt sensitive emails between these and any other computers.
>>
>> One method would be to set up an encrypted folder using software such as
>> Paragon Encrypted Disc and make sure all sensitive data was within it, and
>> to use Verisign to encrypt emails. But I don't know whether this is the best
>> route. Does anyone have any advice for me?
>>
>> Ta
>>
>> Rob Graham

> Hello Rob:
>
> TrueCrypt is also a viable alternative for file encryption.
>
> <http://www.truecrypt.org/>
>
> PGP/GnuPG are well recognized email encryption processes with a good
> reputations.
>
> <http://www.pgp.com/>
>
> <http://www.gnupg.org/>

Rob,

1PW has excellent answers here. Truecrypt is the easy choice for full
disk or folder encryption. Free, open source, cross-platform, and
highly secure.

For secure email exchange, things get a bit more interesting because
you need to have the receiving party using the same solution you are.
GPG is free and works well. If your receivers have PGP, then PGP
gives you a nicer interface to work with and it attempts to integrate
into most popular mailers. I've used both.

hushmail.com might be another alternative to consider.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/