Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Compiler for C++ programming

Compiler for C++ programming

Jerome

Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
windows platform.
I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
If the above is true then which would be the ideal compiler to use.

Linlin Yan

On Sep 10, 3:21*pm, Jerome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
> windows platform.
> I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
> STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
> If the above is true then which would be the ideal compiler to use.

GCC: http://gcc.gnu.org/

Richard Herring

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jerome <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
>windows platform.
>I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
>STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
>If the above is true

The above may not be true. VC++ 6 was notoriously non-compliant in many
respects, but has long been superseded by versions which are much closer
to the standard.

--
Richard Herring

robertwessel2@yahoo.com

On Sep 10, 3:40*am, Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jerome <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
> >Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
> >windows platform.
> >I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
> >STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
> >If the above is true

> The above may not be true. VC++ 6 was notoriously non-compliant in many
> respects, but has long been superseded by versions which are much closer
> to the standard.

The (now) ancient VC6 (and several other compilers) got caught in the
very rapidly evolving C++ standard in 1998, especially as regards
templates. IOW, VC6 largely implemented the draft standard, which
then changed. Most of the big VC6 issues are related to that. MS in
general, does not update language features/syntax within a version
(which allows people to continue to compile their code unchanged with
VC6), but put most of the things right in the next release (VC++ .NET
2002).

But to the OP: on Windows, use VC. There's even a free version.

James Kanze

On Sep 10, 9:21 am, Jerome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template
> programming, on windows platform.
> I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not
> provide the STL library as per the C++ STL standards.

That's complete bullshit. The standard library of VC++ is
probably the best and most complete there is---only g++ is in
any way comparable. VC++ is also one of the best C++ compilers
around---only the EDG front ends are better. If you're working
under Windows, there's absolutely no reason to use anything
else. (Except, of course, for portability checks. It's always
better to compile code with two or more compilers, just to be
sure.)

--
James Kanze

Christopher Dearlove

"Richard Herring" <junk@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jerome <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
>>windows platform.
>>I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
>>STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
>>If the above is true

> The above may not be true. VC++ 6 was notoriously non-compliant in many
> respects, but has long been superseded by versions which are much closer
> to the standard.

And bad as VC++6 was/is, it has most of the STL, although it's weak on
some corners thereof. It's real limitations are on template member functions
and on scope of variables declared in for statements that make you write
VC++6 specific code in these areas. And I have pushed it into compiler
internal errors in some template use areas.

Balog Pal

"Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
> windows platform.
> I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
> STL library as per the C++ STL standards.

Guess that was about 6.0 and 7.0 back ~2000, some time passed since...

Rui Maciel

Jerome wrote:

> Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
> windows platform.
> I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide the
> STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
> If the above is true then which would be the ideal compiler to use.

GCC is your friend, as it's not only (arguably) the best C++ compiler out there but it's also free/open
source software. There are also a hefty number of free/open source IDEs for windows that support GCC, such as
Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks.

Rui Maciel

Jerry Coffin

In article <6171e39d-ff52-4a29-9dd0-6080da370434
@t2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On Sep 10, 9:21 am, Jerome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template
> > programming, on windows platform.
> > I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not
> > provide the STL library as per the C++ STL standards.

> That's complete bullshit. The standard library of VC++ is
> probably the best and most complete there is---only g++ is in
> any way comparable. VC++ is also one of the best C++ compilers
> around---only the EDG front ends are better.

I'd agree with that much.

> If you're working
> under Windows, there's absolutely no reason to use anything
> else. (Except, of course, for portability checks. It's always
> better to compile code with two or more compilers, just to be
> sure.)

Even when portability isn't the issue, I find Comeau C++ to provide
excellent diagnostics, especially for templates. When you can't quite
figure out why something won't compile, the error message from Comeau
is often enough more specific that when VC++ left you scratching your
head, Comeau tells you exactly what to do.

--
Later,
Jerry.

Bo Persson

Rui Maciel wrote:
> Jerome wrote:
>
>> Which compiler would be good to learn C++ template programming, on
>> windows platform.
>> I have access to VC++, but I have read that VC++ does not provide
>> the STL library as per the C++ STL standards.
>> If the above is true then which would be the ideal compiler to use.

> GCC is your friend, as it's not only (arguably) the best C++
> compiler out there but it's also free/open source software. There
> are also a hefty number of free/open source IDEs for windows that
> support GCC, such as Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks.

I don't exactly see an advantage in having an open source compiler,
when trying to learn template programming.

The VC++ Express Edition is free, like in free beer. An excellent
compiler if you target Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

Bo Persson