Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Tracking Usage

Tracking Usage

brian

I have an intranet designed with access to many reports
by clicking a link. The link will open a specified
report. I use a login and session variable.

I want to track when an employee clicks a link. When the
link is clicked I want to write the report name and user
to a database.

Can anyone help me with this task or lead me in a general
direction? Is there a class that can help me?

Thanks

sudha

You can preserve the username in the session variable..
and use it in the page where you are writing to the database.
Hope i have got ur problem correct
Rgds

"brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:062901c3d137$4ea55390$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an intranet designed with access to many reports
> by clicking a link. The link will open a specified
> report. I use a login and session variable.
>
> I want to track when an employee clicks a link. When the
> link is clicked I want to write the report name and user
> to a database.
>
> Can anyone help me with this task or lead me in a general
> direction? Is there a class that can help me?
>
> Thanks

brian shannon

Thanks for your reply. I understand how to write the username to the DB
only because it is stored in the session variable. But how can I
capture the link that is clicked and write that to the DB. The link
calls to a directory to open a report created in Crystal 9.0

Thanks

Mike

What if that link were to have a querystring in it, that identified it?

Then you could extract the querystring, and write that to the DB.

-mike

"brian shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for your reply. I understand how to write the username to the DB
> only because it is stored in the session variable. But how can I
> capture the link that is clicked and write that to the DB. The link
> calls to a directory to open a report created in Crystal 9.0
>
> Thanks

brian shannon

Your a genius~ I can't believe I didn't think of that. It is so
obvious. Thanks very much.

Mike

Anytime, glad I could help.