Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless with Dial-up?

Wireless with Dial-up?

CWLee

My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
Is that correct?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

CWLee

"Eric Shune" <(E-Mail Removed)> provided a website
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access) which
was interesting to read, but did not answer my (the OP)
question, repeated below:

A clerk at Staples told me that in order to add a wireless
router to my system (so a friend's laptop could go online at
my place) I had to have a DSL (instead of my current
dial-up) connection. Is that correct?

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:18:44 -0700, "CWLee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
>the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
>add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
>could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
>Is that correct?
>
>Thanks.

No. I don't think that the clerk understands your setup. You'll get
much better information here.

You need to:

1. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your computer's dial-up
connection.

2. Change the wireless router's LAN setup if it currently uses the
same 192.168.0.x IP address range that ICS uses.

3. Connect the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port to your
computer's Ethernet port.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:18:44 -0700, "CWLee"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
>> the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
>> add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
>> could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
>> Is that correct?
>>
>> Thanks.

> No. I don't think that the clerk understands your setup. You'll get
> much better information here.
>
> You need to:
>
> 1. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your computer's dial-up
> connection.
>
> 2. Change the wireless router's LAN setup if it currently uses the
> same 192.168.0.x IP address range that ICS uses.
>
> 3. Connect the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port to your
> computer's Ethernet port.

But if he doesn't have broadband, it's gonna suck.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
This is rather old but the principle is still the same,
http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"CWLee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to the internet. A
> clerk at Staples told me that in order to add a wireless router to my
> system (so a friend's laptop could go online at my place) I had to have a
> DSL connection. Is that correct?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

Lem

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> Steve Winograd [MS-MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:18:44 -0700, "CWLee"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
>>> the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
>>> add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
>>> could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
>>> Is that correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> No. I don't think that the clerk understands your setup. You'll get
>> much better information here.
>>
>> You need to:
>>
>> 1. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your computer's dial-up
>> connection.
>>
>> 2. Change the wireless router's LAN setup if it currently uses the
>> same 192.168.0.x IP address range that ICS uses.
>>
>> 3. Connect the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port to your
>> computer's Ethernet port.

> But if he doesn't have broadband, it's gonna suck.

Which is why it's difficult to find a home-level router with a built-in
dial-up modem these days (current link to the device Jack links to:
http://www.bestdata.com/store/produc...cat=10&page=1).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

John

"CWLee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eric Shune" <(E-Mail Removed)> provided a website
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access) which was
> interesting to read, but did not answer my (the OP) question, repeated
> below:
>
> A clerk at Staples told me that in order to add a wireless router to my
> system (so a friend's laptop could go online at my place) I had to have a
> DSL (instead of my current dial-up) connection. Is that correct?

For best experience, yes, a broadband connection (DSL or cable) is needed.
If you don't mind waiting several minutes for a web page to load, shared
connection thru dial-up will do the job. Try watching youtube video clips on
multiple computers thru your shared dial-up connection. You'll have fun
talking to your friend while waiting for the video to load (if it doesn't
time out).