Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Distutils - can user designate install directory for windowsinstaller?

Re: Distutils - can user designate install directory for windowsinstaller?

Mark Hammond

On 9/09/2009 1:57 AM, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
> I have successfully built a windows installer for my python program
> using distutils, (python setup.py bdist_wininst), but is there a way to
> do it that will allow a user ('user' == 'boss', in this case!) to
> designate the installation directory, rather than being forced to
> install into /Python/Lib/site-packages ? Thanks for any help.

bdist_wininst is for packaging python modules or packages and so depends
on Python itself being installed. As a result, it only installs into
where Python libs and modules are generally installed.

It sounds like you are looking for something to create a stand-alone
version of your program - in that case you are probably looking for
py2exe to create the application itself, and something like Inno or NSYS
to create an installer which allows the user to specify where they want
it installed and doesn't depend on Python already being installed.

Cheers,

Mark

Jorgen Grahn

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:10:38 +1000, Mark Hammond
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 9/09/2009 1:57 AM, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
>> I have successfully built a windows installer for my python program
>> using distutils, (python setup.py bdist_wininst), but is there a way to
>> do it that will allow a user ('user' == 'boss', in this case!) to
>> designate the installation directory, rather than being forced to
>> install into /Python/Lib/site-packages ? Thanks for any help.

> bdist_wininst is for packaging python modules or packages and so depends
> on Python itself being installed. As a result, it only installs into
> where Python libs and modules are generally installed.
>
> It sounds like you are looking for something to create a stand-alone
> version of your program - in that case you are probably looking for
> py2exe to create the application itself [...]

No, that does not follow from what he writes. To me it seems he wants
a windows installer which can be run by a non-administrator,
installing probably to that guy's home directory. Or maybe to a
networked disk -- anywhere but the standard place.

I don't know how that works. I *do* know that you can do "setup.py
install --prefix somewhere" but the guy who does that needs to have
the actual source code, not a windows installer.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .