Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 & MapPoint 2009 failure to run

Windows 7 & MapPoint 2009 failure to run

Stan Kay

I have run Vista Ultimate 64 bit for some time now and MapPoint 2009 ran
without a hitch. I recently installed my MSDN final release version of
Windows 7 Professional and have successfully installed MapPoint 2009.
However, when I try to run the program nothing happens. I have tried the
following:-

1. I ran the program as Administrator but then get the message "you
registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. To
correct these settings, run Setup again for this application from the
location where you originally installed it". I tried this but got the same
result.

2. I have tried Windows 7 compatibility mode for all versions of XP and
Vista but to no avail.

3. I have tried an old XP solution of deleting temporary files before
re-installing but again I get the same result.

Windows Event Viewer tells me that MapPoint 2009 is incompatible. Can this
really be true or is there an answer to this problem?

Can anyone please offer a solution?

Stan Kay

To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on another
PC:-

1. I reformatted the hard drive.
2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
version not a RC)
6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the same
error message as before.

I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft and
await a response.

Bobby Johnson

There are quite a number of programs that have problems in Win 7 RTM.
Microsoft made some interface & reporting changes in the RTM that
require program updates.

I am using Vipre anti-malware and Active Protection could not be invoke
until Sunbelt Software published an update to correct this. I was
really surprised at how quickly Sunbelt corrected the problem. They had
a fully functional update in about a week after Microsoft released the
RTM to MSDN & TechNet.

Acronis also published an update recently for Win 7 compatible and also
PerfectDisk. I think most of these programs that have problems in Win 7
RTM will be updated by official release date of October 22nd.

Stan Kay wrote:
> To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on another
> PC:-
>
> 1. I reformatted the hard drive.
> 2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
> 3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
> 4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
> 5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
> version not a RC)
> 6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the same
> error message as before.
>
> I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
> between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft and
> await a response.

Richard Urban

"Stan Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on another
> PC:-
>
> 1. I reformatted the hard drive.
> 2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
> 3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
> 4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
> 5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
> version not a RC)
> 6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the same
> error message as before.
>
> I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
> between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft
> and
> await a response.

I had been running Map Point 2009 ever since the first beta and then on the
RTM. Never had a problem. I just installed Map Point 2010 a couple of weeks
back. No problem with that either.

The compatibility issue must be in your system configuration.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Stan Kay

In the last few days I have updated my versions of Acronis, Perfect Disk
and Directory Opus so I hope the MS also issue a fix for MapPoint 2009.

Many thanks for the heads up with the changes that MS made to to the RTM. I
thought something must have changed because MapPoint 2009 worked properly
with Windows 7 RC.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are quite a number of programs that have problems in Win 7 RTM.
> Microsoft made some interface & reporting changes in the RTM that require
> program updates.
>
> I am using Vipre anti-malware and Active Protection could not be invoke
> until Sunbelt Software published an update to correct this. I was really
> surprised at how quickly Sunbelt corrected the problem. They had a fully
> functional update in about a week after Microsoft released the RTM to MSDN
> & TechNet.
>
> Acronis also published an update recently for Win 7 compatible and also
> PerfectDisk. I think most of these programs that have problems in Win 7
> RTM will be updated by official release date of October 22nd.
>

> Stan Kay wrote:
>> To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on another
>> PC:-
>>
>> 1. I reformatted the hard drive.
>> 2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
>> 3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
>> 4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
>> 5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
>> version not a RC)
>> 6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the
>> same
>> error message as before.
>>
>> I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
>> between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft
>> and
>> await a response.

Robert Wolfe

Stan Kay wrote:

> I have run Vista Ultimate 64 bit for some time now and MapPoint 2009 ran
> without a hitch. I recently installed my MSDN final release version of
> Windows 7 Professional and have successfully installed MapPoint 2009.
> However, when I try to run the program nothing happens. I have tried the
> following:-
>
> 1. I ran the program as Administrator but then get the message "you
> registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. To
> correct these settings, run Setup again for this application from the
> location where you originally installed it". I tried this but got the same
> result.
>
> 2. I have tried Windows 7 compatibility mode for all versions of XP and
> Vista but to no avail.
>
> 3. I have tried an old XP solution of deleting temporary files before
> re-installing but again I get the same result.
>
> Windows Event Viewer tells me that MapPoint 2009 is incompatible. Can this
> really be true or is there an answer to this problem?
>
> Can anyone please offer a solution?

Stan, have you tried running/installing the program in Windows XP Mode?

Stan Kay

Hi Robert,

You will see from item 2 that I have tried that and it did not work.

"Robert Wolfe" <robert.wolfeNOSPAM!@robertwolfe.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stan Kay wrote:
>
>> I have run Vista Ultimate 64 bit for some time now and MapPoint 2009 ran
>> without a hitch. I recently installed my MSDN final release version of
>> Windows 7 Professional and have successfully installed MapPoint 2009.
>> However, when I try to run the program nothing happens. I have tried the
>> following:-
>>
>> 1. I ran the program as Administrator but then get the message "you
>> registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. To
>> correct these settings, run Setup again for this application from the
>> location where you originally installed it". I tried this but got the
>> same
>> result.
>>
>> 2. I have tried Windows 7 compatibility mode for all versions of XP and
>> Vista but to no avail.
>>
>> 3. I have tried an old XP solution of deleting temporary files before
>> re-installing but again I get the same result.
>>
>> Windows Event Viewer tells me that MapPoint 2009 is incompatible. Can
>> this
>> really be true or is there an answer to this problem?
>>
>> Can anyone please offer a solution?

> Stan, have you tried running/installing the program in Windows XP Mode?

Stan Kay

Hi Richard,

If configuration is the problem then it is with two PC's. My current
primary PC and the one that I formatted and loaded solely for the purpose of
testing MapPoint 2009.

Have you any ideas what I might alter to make it work?

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>>> 3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
>>> 4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
>>> 5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
>>> version not a RC)
>>> 6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the
>>> same
>>> error message as before.
>>>
>>> I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
>>> between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft
>>> and
>>> await a response.
>>>

>> I had been running Map Point 2009 ever since the first beta and then on
>> the RTM. Never had a problem. I just installed Map Point 2010 a couple of
>> weeks back. No problem with that either.
>>
>> The compatibility issue must be in your system configuration.

Not saying you did this but "Is This A legal Copy"? Or did you obtain it
through nefarious means?

If you downloaded it, do so again - from wherever you obtained it as you may
have a bad download.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

Stan Kay

Hi Richard,

MapPoint 2009 is a download from MSDN subscription and is perfectly legal.
I have downloaded it again but with the same result. However, you will see
from earlier in this thread that it has worked with Windows Vista Ultimate
64 bit for about a year now and worked with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit beta
and RC but it does not work with the full release of Windows 7 Ultimate 64
bit (also from MSDN). I have reported the matter to MS and await a response
but I continue to try to get to the bottom of the problem.

Nevertheless, many thanks for trying.

news:#n1J$(E-Mail Removed)...