Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Not connecting using WPA2

Not connecting using WPA2

Bruce

I have a new home wi-fi sset to use WPA2
One laptop will not connect with WPA2
The laptop did connect on WEP, but had to change to WPA2 for other laptop.
I downloaded xp sp2 patch, KB917021 but still not connecting.
Now what?

Rob

check if the NIC is WPA-ready

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new home wi-fi sset to use WPA2
> One laptop will not connect with WPA2
> The laptop did connect on WEP, but had to change to WPA2 for other laptop.
> I downloaded xp sp2 patch, KB917021 but still not connecting.
> Now what?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Windows XP (or Vista and Win7) might be ready, but the network Card has to
be ready too.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.