Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Initializing a new HD???

Re: Initializing a new HD???

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:16:11 -0500, Sarah Austin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Am I losing my marbles? ( dont answer that
>
>I havent done this in so many years...
>
>I dug around per your suggestions here and found another EIDE plug tray
>for the front of my old PC, and a 40gb WD400BB in a drawer, still sealed
>in the static bag.
>
>So cool, I can use it to backup my data before getting the newer computer.
>
>So I mounted it in the tray, plugged it in, turned on the power key,
>booted the PC again and went into bios setup. Fine, it shows up as the
>slave on the primary IDE channel. Cool.
>
>Then I start XP and it's not showing up there.
>
>Needs formatting? Initialization? Something like that?
>
>So I go to WD's site and look to see if they have a little utility I can
>DL for that. Nope.
>
>Am I losing my brain?

Boot from the Windows XP install CD. Follow the prompts to install XP
until you get to the partitioning screen. Delete any partition on the
new drive then create a partition. Boot Windows from the hard drive
and you should be able to see and format the drive.

==============
Barry

John Holmes

Barry OGrady "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:16:11 -0500, Sarah Austin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Am I losing my marbles? ( dont answer that
>>
>>I havent done this in so many years...
>>
>>I dug around per your suggestions here and found another EIDE plug
>>tray for the front of my old PC, and a 40gb WD400BB in a drawer, still
>>sealed in the static bag.
>>
>>So cool, I can use it to backup my data before getting the newer
>>computer.
>>
>>So I mounted it in the tray, plugged it in, turned on the power key,
>>booted the PC again and went into bios setup. Fine, it shows up as the
>>slave on the primary IDE channel. Cool.
>>
>>Then I start XP and it's not showing up there.
>>
>>Needs formatting? Initialization? Something like that?
>>
>>So I go to WD's site and look to see if they have a little utility I
>>can DL for that. Nope.
>>
>>Am I losing my brain?

> Boot from the Windows XP install CD. Follow the prompts to install XP
> until you get to the partitioning screen. Delete any partition on the
> new drive then create a partition. Boot Windows from the hard drive
> and you should be able to see and format the drive.

> Barry

A rejection letter from MENSA wouldn't be too much of a surprise for you
now, would it?

--
When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
bathroom.