Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Vista Ultimate 64 bit ----> Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 bit ----> Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2009
Yes, you can buy the upgrade version. But no, you can't do a direct upgrade
install. You'll need to install clean. You can go from Business to Ultimate,
but not the reverse.

I believe that the mechanism will be install from inside the existing Vista
Ultimate, however, not booting from the DVD and installing from there.

I recommend running Windows Easy Transfer from the Windows 7 DVD before you
begin installing. WET will save off your files and settings and simplify the
process of getting up and running quickly on Windows 7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hey gang,
>
> I wanted to ask this here, as I know there are a few folks here pretty
> familiar with Windows 7, and I am discussing a 64 bit OS .
>
> I am planning on purchasing Windows 7 Professional upon it's release, and
> installing the 64 bit version. I currently run Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
> If I understand correctly, Professional in Windows 7 will be all I need,
> as Ultimate only adds Bit Locker, and a bunch of languages, neither of
> which I would need.
>
> So my questions - I will of course be installing clean - I plan on
> building a new system at the same time as well.
> I would think I would be ok with the " upgrade" retail version of Windows
> 7 Pro, since I do own Vista Ultimate?
> And, will I have to have install Ultimate on my new system first, prior to
> installing Windows 7 Pro, or will I be able to do a clean install by just
> having the Vista DVD media to insert as proof of ownership?
>
> Thanks for any guidance here,
>
>
>
> --
> Don
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2009
I don't believe it will allow that on an upgrade copy, but since I don't
have one to test with, I can't be sure.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> Thanks Charlie, but I will be starting with a clean hard drive in a new
> system build, replacing the motherboard , processor in my current system.
> So I would need to install my Vista Ultimate version first prior to
> installing Windows 7 Pro upgrade?
>
> I was hoping I could just do a clean install of Windows 7?
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> --
> Don
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, you can buy the upgrade version. But no, you can't do a direct
>> upgrade install. You'll need to install clean. You can go from Business
>> to Ultimate, but not the reverse.
>>
>> I believe that the mechanism will be install from inside the existing
>> Vista Ultimate, however, not booting from the DVD and installing from
>> there.
>>
>> I recommend running Windows Easy Transfer from the Windows 7 DVD before
>> you begin installing. WET will save off your files and settings and
>> simplify the process of getting up and running quickly on Windows 7.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>>
>>
>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> I wanted to ask this here, as I know there are a few folks here pretty
>>> familiar with Windows 7, and I am discussing a 64 bit OS .
>>>
>>> I am planning on purchasing Windows 7 Professional upon it's release,
>>> and installing the 64 bit version. I currently run Vista Ultimate 64
>>> bit.
>>> If I understand correctly, Professional in Windows 7 will be all I need,
>>> as Ultimate only adds Bit Locker, and a bunch of languages, neither of
>>> which I would need.
>>>
>>> So my questions - I will of course be installing clean - I plan on
>>> building a new system at the same time as well.
>>> I would think I would be ok with the " upgrade" retail version of
>>> Windows 7 Pro, since I do own Vista Ultimate?
>>> And, will I have to have install Ultimate on my new system first, prior
>>> to installing Windows 7 Pro, or will I be able to do a clean install by
>>> just having the Vista DVD media to insert as proof of ownership?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any guidance here,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>
>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2009
"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Ok thanks Charlie for the info.
> I would hate to think I would have to do a complete install of my Vista
> Ultimate just to be able to install Win 7, but if that is the way it is
> then that is how it is. Will be interesting to find out for sure.
> I was hoping to keep it simple by planning my motherboard/cpu replacement
> at the same time as getting Windows 7. I guess I could always spend the
> extra on the full version rather than the upgrade, though I would hate to.
>
>
> --
> Don
>
>
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uR#Z#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't believe it will allow that on an upgrade copy, but since I don't
>> have one to test with, I can't be sure.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>>
>>
>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>> Thanks Charlie, but I will be starting with a clean hard drive in a new
>>> system build, replacing the motherboard , processor in my current
>>> system.
>>> So I would need to install my Vista Ultimate version first prior to
>>> installing Windows 7 Pro upgrade?
>>>
>>> I was hoping I could just do a clean install of Windows 7?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Yes, you can buy the upgrade version. But no, you can't do a direct
>>>> upgrade install. You'll need to install clean. You can go from Business
>>>> to Ultimate, but not the reverse.
>>>>
>>>> I believe that the mechanism will be install from inside the existing
>>>> Vista Ultimate, however, not booting from the DVD and installing from
>>>> there.
>>>>
>>>> I recommend running Windows Easy Transfer from the Windows 7 DVD before
>>>> you begin installing. WET will save off your files and settings and
>>>> simplify the process of getting up and running quickly on Windows 7.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Charlie.
>>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>> Hey gang,
>>>>>
>>>>> I wanted to ask this here, as I know there are a few folks here pretty
>>>>> familiar with Windows 7, and I am discussing a 64 bit OS .
>>>>>
>>>>> I am planning on purchasing Windows 7 Professional upon it's release,
>>>>> and installing the 64 bit version. I currently run Vista Ultimate 64
>>>>> bit.
>>>>> If I understand correctly, Professional in Windows 7 will be all I
>>>>> need, as Ultimate only adds Bit Locker, and a bunch of languages,
>>>>> neither of which I would need.
>>>>>
>>>>> So my questions - I will of course be installing clean - I plan on
>>>>> building a new system at the same time as well.
>>>>> I would think I would be ok with the " upgrade" retail version of
>>>>> Windows 7 Pro, since I do own Vista Ultimate?
>>>>> And, will I have to have install Ultimate on my new system first,
>>>>> prior to installing Windows 7 Pro, or will I be able to do a clean
>>>>> install by just having the Vista DVD media to insert as proof of
>>>>> ownership?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for any guidance here,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Don
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>
>
>
>
>


You need to have a copy of Windows installed on the computer that is
eligible for upgrading to W7. You cannot use the upgrade dvd the way we
used to do it with XP and before and just provide the old OS media when
requested during installation because Vista and W7 don't work that way.
With the 64-bit version you do not need to launch setup from the desktop
because 64-bit setup simply scans the system for an upgradable OS as soon as
you enter an upgrade product key. You will not be requested to restart and
run from within an OS the way 32-bit Vista did. You can easily delete the
windows.old files after installation. When offered the choice choose the
Custom install option, not the Upgrade. By that time Setup has already
determined that you are eligible and will let you install any way you wish.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dominic Payer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2009
Nobody knows what is possible because we have not yet seen upgrade
disks, or rather no-one has an upgrade product key to test what is
possible since it is the product key which determines the installation
options not the installation disk.

With Vista, this
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp was
possible and probably that or something similar will apply to Windows 7.


On 05/09/2009 23:47, Don wrote:
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> You need to have a copy of Windows installed on the computer that is
>> eligible for upgrading to W7. You cannot use the upgrade dvd the way
>> we used to do it with XP and before and just provide the old OS media
>> when requested during installation because Vista and W7 don't work
>> that way. With the 64-bit version you do not need to launch setup from
>> the desktop because 64-bit setup simply scans the system for an
>> upgradable OS as soon as you enter an upgrade product key. You will
>> not be requested to restart and run from within an OS the way 32-bit
>> Vista did. You can easily delete the windows.old files after
>> installation. When offered the choice choose the Custom install
>> option, not the Upgrade. By that time Setup has already determined
>> that you are eligible and will let you install any way you wish.

>
>
> Hmm, ok how about this?
>
> I will be replacing my mb, processor and ram at the same time. I plan on
> purchasing a new hard disk, to install Windows 7 on. If I have my hard
> disk that Ultimate is on, installed on the new motherboard in another
> sata slot, and I boot from the Win 7 dvd, will it scan and find my
> Ultimate install and then allow me to clean install Win 7 64 bit on the
> new hard drive?
> I may be making this more complex than it really is...
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
TMA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2009
Here's my piece of advice to you. I know it may sound too hard work, but at
least your system will be as clean as possible when the process is finished.

1) when you get your new system (MOBO, memory, processor, etc), just put
your new HD into it and DISCONNECT your existing HD. That will make the
Vista install DVD do a full clean install.
2) right after installing Vista Ultimate, put Windows 7 DVD into the drive
and install it. It's not necessary to run any updates or configure anything.
It all can be done directly in Windows 7.
3) register and apply all the updates for Windows 7 from MS update utility
in the control panel. Most of the times you have to reboot several times to
get all the updates available. Some previous versions of Windows, and I
believe it happens with Windows 7 too, will report "system updated" even
when it's not. So, after each update, it's recommended to reboot and then
trying the update check again.
4) plug your old HD back on and be careful to set it after the brand new HD.
You may have to go into the bios to select the HD boot order, so you can be
sure the new HD will be launched first in the bios sequence. Some people
like to keep boot from CD and boot from floppy before the boot from HD, but
I personally don't like that. I'd recommend that you just put the HD you
want and disable all other options, unless of course you boot from CD/DVD
too often. Doing that will save you a couple of seconds everytime you turn
on your computer.
5) now it's time to move your data into your new HD. Windows 7 comes with an
enhanced Explorer to make your life easier. You may want to check it out
first before touching anything in your old HD. Check out the "Libraries" and
create new ones and customize them before you copy anything.

Now it comes the fun part: It's possible to keep both the OS'es. In this
case, you can set your computer to prompt you which OS to boot each time you
turn on your computer, Vista Ultimate (the one that is sitting untouched in
your old HD) or the brand new Win7 Pro. If your not familiar at all with
computers and you think you'll have a hard time getting used with Windows 7,
that would be the best way to go, since you can always launch your good old
Vista. In order to achieve that, all you got to do is google for BCD help to
add a new BCD option to the Windows 7 boot menu and it will do the magic
trick.

On the other hand, if you just want to get rid of old Vista, just make sure
you copied ALL your old data into the new HD then you can just wipe the disk
and use it as a spare space to put your data/pics/games/whatever. Once you
have wiped your OLD disk, you will hardly be able to recover any data from
it, so you want to be 100% sure you got EVERYTHING you needed from it BEFORE
wiping it. Once it's cleaned it and formated (format with NTFS is
recommended), you can copy back your data files into it if you want.

I'm sorry if this post has been too "basic", but we can never know the level
of experience of the posters. My dad asked me almost the same thing a few
weeks ago and his level of education with computers is below zero, so I
thought it would be interesting to post a detailed guide just in case

Good luck.


"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> You need to have a copy of Windows installed on the computer that is
>> eligible for upgrading to W7. You cannot use the upgrade dvd the way
>> we used to do it with XP and before and just provide the old OS media
>> when requested during installation because Vista and W7 don't work that
>> way. With the 64-bit version you do not need to launch setup from the
>> desktop because 64-bit setup simply scans the system for an upgradable OS
>> as soon as you enter an upgrade product key. You will not be requested
>> to restart and run from within an OS the way 32-bit Vista did. You can
>> easily delete the windows.old files after installation. When offered the
>> choice choose the Custom install option, not the Upgrade. By that time
>> Setup has already determined that you are eligible and will let you
>> install any way you wish.

>
>
> Hmm, ok how about this?
>
> I will be replacing my mb, processor and ram at the same time. I plan on
> purchasing a new hard disk, to install Windows 7 on. If I have my hard
> disk that Ultimate is on, installed on the new motherboard in another sata
> slot, and I boot from the Win 7 dvd, will it scan and find my Ultimate
> install and then allow me to clean install Win 7 64 bit on the new hard
> drive?
> I may be making this more complex than it really is...
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
>
> --
> Don
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2009
"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> You need to have a copy of Windows installed on the computer that is
>> eligible for upgrading to W7. You cannot use the upgrade dvd the way
>> we used to do it with XP and before and just provide the old OS media
>> when requested during installation because Vista and W7 don't work that
>> way. With the 64-bit version you do not need to launch setup from the
>> desktop because 64-bit setup simply scans the system for an upgradable OS
>> as soon as you enter an upgrade product key. You will not be requested
>> to restart and run from within an OS the way 32-bit Vista did. You can
>> easily delete the windows.old files after installation. When offered the
>> choice choose the Custom install option, not the Upgrade. By that time
>> Setup has already determined that you are eligible and will let you
>> install any way you wish.

>
>
> Hmm, ok how about this?
>
> I will be replacing my mb, processor and ram at the same time. I plan on
> purchasing a new hard disk, to install Windows 7 on. If I have my hard
> disk that Ultimate is on, installed on the new motherboard in another sata
> slot, and I boot from the Win 7 dvd, will it scan and find my Ultimate
> install and then allow me to clean install Win 7 64 bit on the new hard
> drive?
> I may be making this more complex than it really is...
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
>
> --
> Don
>
>
>


If you can boot into the old Windows, W7 will find it when you install W7
with an upgrade product key. It will allow you to install on any available
volume attached to your SATA connectors (even external). If you want to
remove the old Windows HD afterwards, you will need to take into account
that the boot files are installed onto the old HD and use something like
VistaBoot Pro to write the boot files on the W7 drive before removing the
old Windows HD. Otherwise, the system won't boot after removal of the old
drive.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2009
There's really no issue with installing Vista first, except the time to do
it. When you do a clean install of your upgrade version, it will put all the
old stuff in a Windows.old folder. Once everything is complete, just delete
the folder to recover the space. None of the old "bits" hang around, unlike
when you do an actual upgrade installation.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64


"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>
>>> Hmm, ok how about this?
>>>
>>> I will be replacing my mb, processor and ram at the same time. I plan on
>>> purchasing a new hard disk, to install Windows 7 on. If I have my hard
>>> disk that Ultimate is on, installed on the new motherboard in another
>>> sata slot, and I boot from the Win 7 dvd, will it scan and find my
>>> Ultimate install and then allow me to clean install Win 7 64 bit on the
>>> new hard drive?
>>> I may be making this more complex than it really is...
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> If you can boot into the old Windows, W7 will find it when you install W7
>> with an upgrade product key. It will allow you to install on any
>> available volume attached to your SATA connectors (even external). If
>> you want to remove the old Windows HD afterwards, you will need to take
>> into account that the boot files are installed onto the old HD and use
>> something like VistaBoot Pro to write the boot files on the W7 drive
>> before removing the old Windows HD. Otherwise, the system won't boot
>> after removal of the old drive.

>
> Thanks Colin,
>
> I think I have about decided to do it one of two ways.
>
> 1: Take TMA's advice, install Vista Ultimate 64 bit on new hard drive,
> with the new drive being only one attached to new mb. Then immediately
> afterwards, insert the Win 7 dvd, let it confirm I have the Vista install,
> and then install Win 7 from there.
>
> 2: Bite the bullet and purchase the full retail version of Win 7 Pro,
> rather than the upgrade, to save me having to install Vista Ultimate on my
> clean hard drive - although paying an extra 100 bucks or so to MS I do not
> find very appealing...
>
>
>
> --
> Don
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2009
"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Thanks Colin,
>>>
>>> I think I have about decided to do it one of two ways.
>>>
>>> 1: Take TMA's advice, install Vista Ultimate 64 bit on new hard drive,
>>> with the new drive being only one attached to new mb. Then immediately
>>> afterwards, insert the Win 7 dvd, let it confirm I have the Vista
>>> install, and then install Win 7 from there.
>>>
>>> 2: Bite the bullet and purchase the full retail version of Win 7 Pro,
>>> rather than the upgrade, to save me having to install Vista Ultimate on
>>> my clean hard drive - although paying an extra 100 bucks or so to MS I
>>> do not find very appealing...
>>>

1. is the way to go.

As for 2., that would allow you to run both the new and the old OSs in
compliance with the licenses. That is my preferred method, especially when
the old license is permanently tied to the computer.

I agree with Charlie. There is no issue with having Vista installed on the
computer. You will simply be replacing it. W7 does not use the old file
copy installation (XP and before) so it does not leave fragments of the old
OS. It uses an image copy which completely removes the old OS from the part
of the drive where W7 is installed. Reformatting of the portion of the hard
drive used is inherent in image copying. You then delete the files Setup
copied to windows.old and the result is a clean install. You may be
anticipating problems you simply won't have.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate users Dave Doe NZ Computing 5 04-27-2009 03:57 AM
vista ultimate 64 bit versus vista miker MCDST 5 10-01-2008 06:02 PM
vista 32 bit home premium to 64 bit vista ultimate =?Utf-8?B?Z2VuZQ==?= Windows 64bit 2 03-10-2007 12:42 AM
Re: Vista Ultimate 32-Bit or 64-Bit edition Colin Barnhorst Windows 64bit 0 01-22-2007 10:18 PM
Dual boot with windows XP Pro 64 Bit and Vista Ultimate 32 Bit Lee Steele Windows 64bit 2 12-27-2006 05:28 PM



Advertisments