Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Outlook Express

Outlook Express

Jeff Strickland

news:h83quu$iik$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h83l61$vk0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:h83k80$nbq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:h83igr$805$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> <<snipped and renamed >>

>>> I need to get one of those too: no more opening cabinet/ laying bad
>>> drive on floor and hanging a drive cable.
>>> I checked - local store has 'em - picking up tomorrow.
>>> Thanks

>> It's very useful to make any IDE or SATA drive into a USB drive. It has a
>> connection for a 2.5 or 3.5 inch IDE, so you can take a drive from a
>> laptop and connect to another machine. I've recovered data from both
>> types of IDE. It's not the product needed to add a drive, but it's great
>> for recovery.

> Currently I use 2/5" or 3.5" to IDE adapter /connectors I got at local
> computer show. (I posted info here before)
> I'll only use it for recovery or temporarily adding more drives than
> internal bus can handle. As with you folks, it's usually it's not MY
> data - family ... can you help me ?... One year , week before semester
> end - niece called - had crapped out - she had all of her schoolwork on
> laptop/ no backup and needed the files to graduate ! It wouldn't boot but
> I could retrieve her stuff by adding to my PC.
> It'll be worth the $15.

$15? CRAP!

Mine was $25.

JD

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> news:h83quu$iik$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:h83l61$vk0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> news:h83k80$nbq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>> <<snipped and renamed >>

>>> It's very useful to make any IDE or SATA drive into a USB drive. It has a
>>> connection for a 2.5 or 3.5 inch IDE, so you can take a drive from a
>>> laptop and connect to another machine. I've recovered data from both
>>> types of IDE. It's not the product needed to add a drive, but it's great
>>> for recovery.

>> Currently I use 2/5" or 3.5" to IDE adapter /connectors I got at local
>> computer show. (I posted info here before)
>> I'll only use it for recovery or temporarily adding more drives than
>> internal bus can handle. As with you folks, it's usually it's not MY
>> data - family ... can you help me ?... One year , week before semester
>> end - niece called - had crapped out - she had all of her schoolwork on
>> laptop/ no backup and needed the files to graduate ! It wouldn't boot but
>> I could retrieve her stuff by adding to my PC.
>> It'll be worth the $15.
>>

> $15? CRAP!
>
> Mine was $25.

You got off light mine was £45 ($80, the shop had big windows lol)

I guess you guys are still using XP or below for doing your data
recovery, as vista onward introduce or rather force the owner
permissions on files and directories which is a real pain in the ass, as
you have to change the owner/group permissions to the current user of
the machine you are on (i.e. vista / Win 7)
so if your going to be upgrading to win 7 which is no bad thing (and I
cannot stand vista btw)
the work around for this is to run a virtual machine with the addition's
package which will let you give USB control over to the virtual machine
which you run windows XP on, which is quite handy as you can have VM's
set up with different anti virus packages etc that you may not want to
run permanently on your own machine.

JD

- Bobb -

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4aa58931$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> I guess you guys are still using XP or below for doing your data recovery,
> as vista onward introduce or rather force the owner permissions on files
> and directories which is a real pain in the ass, as you have to change the
> owner/group permissions to the current user of the machine you are on
> (i.e. vista / Win 7)
> so if your going to be upgrading to win 7 which is no bad thing (and I
> cannot stand vista btw)
> the work around for this is to run a virtual machine with the addition's
> package which will let you give USB control over to the virtual machine
> which you run windows XP on, which is quite handy as you can have VM's set
> up with different anti virus packages etc that you may not want to run
> permanently on your own machine.
>
> JD

I bought PC's during last days of XP so I was entitled to Vista, got the
DVD's and - stayed at XP. I had beta-tested Vista and when testing was done,
gladly reimaged that partition to XP. Permissions, etc for a standalone PC
were a nuisance and XP was fine. ( if it ain't broke ...) . I have used /
like Win7. I did pre-buy upgrade via Bestbuy website a few months ago and
will get a different PC for XP / testing ( craiglist) and might go with
Win7 for daily PC. I haven't messed with VM's - haven't had a need - yet..

JD

- Bobb - wrote:

<<<<SNIP>>>

> I bought PC's during last days of XP so I was entitled to Vista, got the
> DVD's and - stayed at XP. I had beta-tested Vista and when testing was done,
> gladly reimaged that partition to XP. Permissions, etc for a standalone PC
> were a nuisance and XP was fine. ( if it ain't broke ...) . I have used /
> like Win7. I did pre-buy upgrade via Bestbuy website a few months ago and
> will get a different PC for XP / testing ( craiglist) and might go with
> Win7 for daily PC. I haven't messed with VM's - haven't had a need - yet..

I was using win 2000 but when they officially killed it I moved
grudgingly to XP, which I must admit I didn't like at first, however it
did grow on me and I have to say it was/is a pretty decent OS, vista I
tried for a bit but its just to damn annoying.

I have been using Win7 for a bit now have the RC1 loaded and running as
my main machine I also bought the "upgrade" altho I get the full Retail
version ) as I'm in the EU, I was glad it was shipping without the
browser as its trivial to load your own and I don't like or use IE at
all, but looks like I will be getting the full version with a browser
now I'm glad I had the foresight to order the Win7 pro package as it was
dirt cheap. as for "if it ain't broke" that's true to a point it's
certainly not broke but it has been around for a while and you know
hardware manufacturers just love to stop supporting there older hardware
so you buy there latest and greatest things.

VM's are very handy indeed I used to run 3/4 pc's at once but I got rid
of them and build up a Qaud core, which is better for my electricity
bill, and I can just have VM's for my Linux,BSD, webserver/php testing
or whatever I need to do, but what I find it especially useful for is
fixing heavily infested computers I just stick the hard drive in my
machine (with auto play turned off on all devices of coarse) hand over
control to my XP virtual machine and run the antivirus/ malware programs
without worrying about infecting my own machine.

JD

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h83u1f$cpk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> news:h83quu$iik$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> It'll be worth the $15.
>>

> $15? CRAP!
>
> Mine was $25.

$15 here: