Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux desktop usage keeps on dropping

Linux desktop usage keeps on dropping

Nik Coughlin

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
> >
> > April 2009 2.16%
> > May 2009 2.13%
> > June 2009 2.11%
> > July 2009 2.02%
> > Aug 2009 1.97%
> >
> > Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
> > nearly
> > overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
> >
> > Oh my.
> >
> > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of them
bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

impossible

> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
> >>
> >> April 2009 2.16%
> >> May 2009 2.13%
> >> June 2009 2.11%
> >> July 2009 2.02%
> >> Aug 2009 1.97%
> >>
> >> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
> >> nearly
> >> overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
> >>
> >> Oh my.
> >>
> >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

All gibberish aside, the number of Linux users is declining.

impossible

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h7pu3i$7em$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>> >
>> > April 2009 2.16%
>> > May 2009 2.13%
>> > June 2009 2.11%
>> > July 2009 2.02%
>> > Aug 2009 1.97%
>> >
>> > Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
>> > nearly
>> > overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
>> >
>> > Oh my.
>> >
>> > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

>> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
>> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
>> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
>> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
>> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
>> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
>> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
>> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

> Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
> steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

Who are you kidding?! In the space of 6 months, usage of the Windows 7 RC
has nearly ec lipsed 18 years of Linux "growth".

> That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of them
> bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, dual-boots Windows vs doesn't
dual-boots Windows, would almost certainly show statistical significance at
p < 0.01 or less.

impossible

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> impossible wrote:
>

>>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
>>> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
>>> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
>>> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
>>> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
>>> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
>>> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
>>> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.
>>>

>> All gibberish aside, the number of Linux users is declining.

> The number of, or the percentage of?
> --

Last I looked, percentage=number.

Nik Coughlin

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news20om.28244$5n1.16607@attbi_s21...

> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h7pu3i$7em$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
>>> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
>>> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
>>> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
>>> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
>>> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
>>> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
>>> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

>> Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
>> steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

> Who are you kidding?! In the space of 6 months, usage of the Windows 7 RC
> has nearly ec lipsed 18 years of Linux "growth".

As compared to itself, not against other OSes. Look at its share a couple
of years ago compared to now.

>> That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of them
>> bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, dual-boots Windows vs
> doesn't dual-boots Windows, would almost certainly show statistical
> significance at p < 0.01 or less.

Now you're just being facetious

I'm not interested in OS wars anyway, it's like partisan politics, neither
proponents on the left nor right can ever be right about *everything* and
each will often take a contrary stance to the other on any given topic
regardless of the underlying objective truth just because of their chosen
alignment. Seems irrational to me.

Gordon

On 2009-09-04, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:03:25 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> Correlation does not imply causation

> I know that catchphrase too - I started bleating it more than 20 years
> ago.
>
> Anyway, I wasn't saying or even implying anything about causation. My
> prior post was totally about correlation. What I was actually saying was
> that linux users are an elite group, and likely have a much higher than
> average IQ.

I would argue that they are the gate swingers, the people who are cynical,
and can see other ways. Open minded people, who challenge the convential
ideas of the times.

Same as the hippies of the 70's who said recycling was the way to go, it
needed to be done. Now we have a band wagon which takes all people, whether
they understand or not.

Its a mind set, and attitude, they way ones brain is wired.

In a dumbed downed society, even an average IQ used to capacity will shine

Gordon

On 2009-09-04, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 4:32*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>>
>> April 2009 * *2.16%
>> May 2009 * *2.13%
>> June 2009 * *2.11%
>> July 2009 * * 2.02%
>> Aug 2009 * * 1.97%
>>
>> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's nearly
>> overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
>>
>> Oh my.
>>
>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefer
> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

Yes, people have a comfort zone. Many accept that the world is the way of
palm oil in chocolate, or that DRM is good for one.

Saves them thinking. Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the
probable reason reason why so few people do it. Henry Ford.

Linux, and OSS is far from declining, it is quitely hoping onto/into many
devices in which it does not need to show itself, because it works so well.

Also, more and more people are becoming aware that Ms Windows is not only the
only show on desktops.

Finally, how can anyone tell what % of desktops are running Linux? For it
spread by people talking to people and downloading from the Internet.

The Oxman

Linux users have achieved their own self fulfilling prophecy, with the
continued release of a product at ZERO cost.
Average Joe public determines any products quality based on how much the
item cost.

Not to mention the post installation support and product updates that falls
upon the united community of debian users to provide each other.

Lucky y'all gots an IQ over 130........

HUH!!
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-09-04, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>>>
>>> April 2009 2.16%
>>> May 2009 2.13%
>>> June 2009 2.11%
>>> July 2009 2.02%
>>> Aug 2009 1.97%
>>>
>>> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
>>> nearly
>>> overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
>>>
>>> Oh my.
>>>
>>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

>> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
>> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
>> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
>> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
>> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
>> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefer
>> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
>> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.
>>

> Yes, people have a comfort zone. Many accept that the world is the way of
> palm oil in chocolate, or that DRM is good for one.
>
> Saves them thinking. Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the
> probable reason reason why so few people do it. Henry Ford.
>
> Linux, and OSS is far from declining, it is quitely hoping onto/into many
> devices in which it does not need to show itself, because it works so
> well.
>
> Also, more and more people are becoming aware that Ms Windows is not only
> the
> only show on desktops.
>
> Finally, how can anyone tell what % of desktops are running Linux? For it
> spread by people talking to people and downloading from the Internet.

impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-09-04, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:03:25 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>
>>> Correlation does not imply causation

>> I know that catchphrase too - I started bleating it more than 20 years
>> ago.
>>
>> Anyway, I wasn't saying or even implying anything about causation. My
>> prior post was totally about correlation. What I was actually saying was
>> that linux users are an elite group, and likely have a much higher than
>> average IQ.

> I would argue that they are the gate swingers, the people who are cynical,
> and can see other ways. Open minded people, who challenge the convential
> ideas of the times.

Linux users? Judging by this newgroup, those would be the prats who never
learned to separate fact from fiction.

impossible

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h7q3k0$632$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news20om.28244$5n1.16607@attbi_s21...
>>
>> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:h7pu3i$7em$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
>>> steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

>> Who are you kidding?! In the space of 6 months, usage of the Windows 7 RC
>> has nearly ec lipsed 18 years of Linux "growth".

> As compared to itself, not against other OSes. Look at its share a couple
> of years ago compared to now.
>
>>> That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of
>>> them bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

>> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, dual-boots Windows vs
>> doesn't dual-boots Windows, would almost certainly show statistical
>> significance at p < 0.01 or less.

> Now you're just being facetious
>
> I'm not interested in OS wars anyway, it's like partisan politics, neither
> proponents on the left nor right can ever be right about *everything* and
> each will often take a contrary stance to the other on any given topic
> regardless of the underlying objective truth just because of their chosen
> alignment. Seems irrational to me.

It's just a game. And you're actually quite good at it.