Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux desktop usage keeps on dropping

Linux desktop usage keeps on dropping

impossible

This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.

April 2009 2.16%
May 2009 2.13%
June 2009 2.11%
July 2009 2.02%
Aug 2009 1.97%

Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's nearly
overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.

Oh my.

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Nik Coughlin

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsFHnm.26935$5n1.16813@attbi_s21...
> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>
> April 2009 2.16%
> May 2009 2.13%
> June 2009 2.11%
> July 2009 2.02%
> Aug 2009 1.97%
>
> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
> nearly overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
>
> Oh my.
>
> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

More comprehensive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

impossible

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h7nhje$ioj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsFHnm.26935$5n1.16813@attbi_s21...
>> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>>
>> April 2009 2.16%
>> May 2009 2.13%
>> June 2009 2.11%
>> July 2009 2.02%
>> Aug 2009 1.97%
>>
>> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
>> nearly overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
>>
>> Oh my.
>>
>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

> More comprehensive:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

Yes, very good. I'll bookmark that.

Nik Coughlin

"vitw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a9f781b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:32:21 +0000, impossible wrote:
>
>> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>>
>> April 2009 2.16%
>> May 2009 2.13%
>> June 2009 2.11%
>> July 2009 2.02%
>> Aug 2009 1.97%

> Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
> exceeds 130.
>
> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
> Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
> less.

Correlation does not imply causation

Murray Symon

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "vitw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4a9f781b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:32:21 +0000, impossible wrote:
>>
>>> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>>>
>>> April 2009 2.16%
>>> May 2009 2.13%
>>> June 2009 2.11%
>>> July 2009 2.02%
>>> Aug 2009 1.97%

>> Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
>> exceeds 130.
>>
>> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
>> Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
>> less.

> Correlation does not imply causation

http://xkcd.com/552/

Nik Coughlin

"Murray Symon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h7ntod$lgv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> "vitw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4a9f781b$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
>>> exceeds 130.
>>>
>>> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
>>> Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05
>>> or
>>> less.

>> Correlation does not imply causation

> http://xkcd.com/552/

Yes, very fond of Mr Munroe

impossible

"vitw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a9f781b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:32:21 +0000, impossible wrote:
>
>> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>>
>> April 2009 2.16%
>> May 2009 2.13%
>> June 2009 2.11%
>> July 2009 2.02%
>> Aug 2009 1.97%

> Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
> exceeds 130.
>
> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
> Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
> less.

Could be. Also approximates the percentage of the population living in
Denial. We'll have to keep an eye on these numbers.

Simon

On Sep 3, 8:03*pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
> > Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
> > less.

> Correlation does not imply causation

Touche!

Nik Coughlin

"vitw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4aa060b8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:03:25 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> Correlation does not imply causation

> I know that catchphrase too - I started bleating it more than 20 years
> ago.
>
> Anyway, I wasn't saying or even implying anything about causation. My
> prior post was totally about correlation. What I was actually saying was
> that linux users are an elite group, and likely have a much higher than
> average IQ.

Seems reasonable

peterwn

On Sep 3, 4:32*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
>
> April 2009 * *2.16%
> May 2009 * *2.13%
> June 2009 * *2.11%
> July 2009 * * 2.02%
> Aug 2009 * * 1.97%
>
> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's nearly
> overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
>
> Oh my.
>
> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.