Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Can anyone write this recursion for simple regexp morebeautifully and clearly than the braggarts

Re: Can anyone write this recursion for simple regexp morebeautifully and clearly than the braggarts

spinoza1111

On Sep 1, 11:25*pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>

> spinoza1111wrote:
> > On Aug 30, 2:30 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> >> In the current case, bolega (unknown name, to me at least) is
> >> slagging off Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike (both names known to me)
> >> and their book (which I've read). He starts with the word
> >> "braggart", and the rest is similar ranting. It's just perfectly
> >> normal bilgewater of the

> > Don't make mock of my patronym

> From Chambers: "*bilge* noun 1a the broadest part of a ship's bottom;
> b (usually bilges) the lowermost parts on the inside of a ship's
> hull, below the floorboards. 2 (also bilge-water) the dirty water
> that collects in a ship's bilge. 3 /rather dated colloq/ rubbish,
> nonsense, drivel."
>
> I can see why you might object to the use of the neologism
> "nilgewater", but I see no sensible reason for objecting to the
> perfectly normal word "bilgewater". One might reasonably object to a
> particular application thereof in a given context, but the word
> itself is surely unobjectionable.

Well, Dickon,

What think'st thou Norfolke.
Nor. A good direction warlike Soueraigne,
This found I on my Tent this Morning.
Iockey of Norfolke, be not so bold,
For Dickon thy maister is bought and sold.

I still object to "bilge", etc., because you are like a child making
fun of my patronym.

You are a dull Fellowe
With a streak of bright Yellowe
Who when he loses an argument
Says 'tis not what I meant,
And who makes a child's game
Out of a person's father's name
Because unlike myself
Thou hast no Pelf
In the wealthe that lieth in words
Your posties they are for the birds.
A Yank can yank your chaine
And cause you paine, knowing he
More than you about your paternitie,
The English language you have lost.

Jockey of Heathfield, be not so bold
We're tired of you, and you're gettin' old.

> <snip>

> Email: -http://www. +rjh@
> Sig line vacant - apply within

James Kuyper

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> In
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> spinoza1111 wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I still object to "bilge", etc., because you are like a child making
>> fun of my patronym.

> I thought your patronym was Nilges, not Bilges. Was that a mistake?

Surely you're not denying that "bilgewater" is being used because of the
similarity of Nilges and Bilge?

However, he's mistaken in thinking that you're making fun of his
patronym; it's the comparison between the qualities of his writing the
qualities of bilgewater that provides the humor, and the (well deserved)
insult. There's nothing particularly humorous, in itself, about the
similarity between Nilges and bilge.

spinoza1111

On Sep 2, 6:11*pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In <h7lg4v$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, James Kuyper wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > There's nothing particularly humorous, in itself,
> > about the similarity between Nilges and bilge.

> No, it isn't even remotely amusing.

So why do you make a joke of it? Is it perhaps because you're a feeb
and this is the only reply you can make to my verse?

On Sep 2, 10:44*pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> spinoza1111wrote:
> > On Sep 2, 6:11 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> In <h7lg4v$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, James Kuyper wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> No, it isn't even remotely amusing.

> > So why do you make a joke of it?

> My use of the word "bilgewater" (or, more properly, "bilge-water",
> according to Chambers) was not intended to be a joke.

Of course not. You grind on without levity and at best create
confusion. We have to beat answers out of you since you insist on
being literally "right" at all times.

> > Is it perhaps because you're a feeb
> > and this is the only reply you can make to my verse?

> I wouldn't call that "verse". It wouldn't even qualify as doggerel.

Sorry, but of verse you are no judge
Any more than any packer of fudge. Stick with C:
You have no poetry.