Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samsung's latest contribution to P&S mediocrity

Samsung's latest contribution to P&S mediocrity

Rich

26-624mm equivalent and (of course) the ubiquitous, crappy 1/2.33" P&S
sensor. Plus raw mode and 3200 ISO. Can you even begin to imagine
the noise in such an image?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...5000.asp#specs

J.Ruthers

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>26-624mm equivalent and (of course) the ubiquitous, crappy 1/2.33" P&S
>sensor. Plus raw mode and 3200 ISO. Can you even begin to imagine
>the noise in such an image?
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...5000.asp#specs

Perhaps you should educate yourself on what "pixel binning" entails. Then
you won't make a fool of yourself as often.

Dave Cohen

Rich wrote:
> 26-624mm equivalent and (of course) the ubiquitous, crappy 1/2.33" P&S
> sensor. Plus raw mode and 3200 ISO. Can you even begin to imagine
> the noise in such an image?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...5000.asp#specs

If people buying this and similar models are happy with them they will
continue to be sold.
After readers have suffered through some number of your rants they will
learn not to waste their time. That's just the way things work.

Rich

J. Ruthers wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >26-624mm equivalent and (of course) the ubiquitous, crappy 1/2.33" P&S
> >sensor. Plus raw mode and 3200 ISO. Can you even begin to imagine
> >the noise in such an image?
> >
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...5000.asp#specs

> Perhaps you should educate yourself on what "pixel binning" entails. Then
> you won't make a fool of yourself as often.

A method for scientists who are more concerned with information than
image quality.

SMS

Rich wrote:
> 26-624mm equivalent and (of course) the ubiquitous, crappy 1/2.33" P&S
> sensor. Plus raw mode and 3200 ISO.

ISO 6400 for 3M or less, LOL.

> Can you even begin to imagine the noise in such an image?

Doesn't matter. There's clearly a market for people who don't care at
all about the quality of the image and are more concerned with having
the most megapixels, the widest range zoom, and the biggest LCD. Those
people are the legal prey of the manufacturers of this type of product.

Once you've got the tiny P&S sensor, you're already screwed except for
low-ISO in bright light. You might as well hang such a ridiculous lens
on it. Maybe the CA and vignetting will hide the noise.

Maybe the plan is to make a P&S so bad that the owner will want to buy a
Samsung D-SLR.

Ray Fischer

SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Rich wrote:
>> 26-624mm equivalent and (of course) the ubiquitous, crappy 1/2.33" P&S
>> sensor. Plus raw mode and 3200 ISO.

>ISO 6400 for 3M or less, LOL.
>
>> Can you even begin to imagine the noise in such an image?

>Doesn't matter. There's clearly a market for people who don't care at
>all about the quality of the image and are more concerned with having
>the most megapixels, the widest range zoom, and the biggest LCD.

There isn't a person posting here who isn't willing to accept
compromises in image quality in order to get a camera that they
can use for an acceptable price. Some of them are arrogant snobs
who think that only their compromises are acceptable.

--
Ray Fischer

SMS

Ray Fischer wrote:

> There isn't a person posting here who isn't willing to accept
> compromises in image quality in order to get a camera that they
> can use for an acceptable price. Some of them are arrogant snobs
> who think that only their compromises are acceptable.

True. It's all a question of which compromises you're willing to make.

Still, advising people to avoid a camera with very high noise and a
crappy lens (ignoring for a while all the other issues) doesn't
necessarily make someone arrogant, nor a snob.