Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Post Trialling Open Source On Desktops

NZ Post Trialling Open Source On Desktops

EMB

Carnations wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:23:34 +1200, geoff wrote:
>
>> Unix maybe.

> Linux is a replacement for MS Windows.

At the present point in time, for mainstream desktop use Linux doesn't
even get close to being a Windows replacement.

EMB

Carnations wrote:

> The "Long-suffering taxpayer" (aka her Majesty the Queen) receives money from NZ Post each year.

HM the Queen receives ****all from NZ Post, however the NZ Government on
behalf of the long suffering taxpayer does receive a dividend from NZ
Post. Conversely, as owner, the taxpayer would be expected to bail out
NZ Post should it make a loss.

EMB

Carnations wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:21:26 +1200, Richard wrote:
>
>> Because nobody else was set up by the government, or has them to fall
>> back on if things go wrong so its impossible to compete with them
>> commercially on a fair footing.

> Rubbish!
>
> For example, at one time Telecom had its own nationwide network of retail outlets which it
> subsequently closed. you do know how hideous Telecom's profits are don't you?

And right through that entire time it was still possible to pay your
phone bill at any post office.

> It chose to close all those branches and to direct all its over-the-counter business to New Zealand Post
> - something that NZ Post had not done since before Telecom was split out of the New Zealand Post
> Office back in the '80s.

The business never actually left NZ Post, the Telecom outlets were
merely additional to the option of paying at NZ Post.

victor

Carnations wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:49:11 +1200, victor wrote:
>
>> There will be a hell of a lot of stationery shops going out of business
>> then.

> By an' large they're agencies for Kiwibank/NZ Post.

Theres a huge number of courier companies that don't regard NZ Post as a
threat despite their SOE status

Carnations

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:05:30 +1200, victor wrote:

> Theres a huge number of courier companies that don't regard NZ Post as a
> threat despite their SOE status

Courier Companies can't carry letters to people's letterboxes.

Carnations

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:37:38 +1200, EMB wrote:

> Carnations wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:23:34 +1200, geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Unix maybe.

>> Linux is a replacement for MS Windows.
>>

> At the present point in time, for mainstream desktop use Linux doesn't
> even get close to being a Windows replacement.

Would you care to elaborate why you consider that to be the case?

Can you frame your reply in the context of a corporate desktop environment?

Carnations

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:39:59 +1200, EMB wrote:

> Carnations wrote:
>

>> The "Long-suffering taxpayer" (aka her Majesty the Queen) receives
>> money from NZ Post each year.

> HM the Queen receives ****all from NZ Post, however the NZ Government on
> behalf of the long suffering taxpayer does receive a dividend from NZ
> Post. Conversely, as owner, the taxpayer would be expected to bail out
> NZ Post should it make a loss.

There is no such an entity as "The Taxpayer".

Carnations

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:41:32 +1200, EMB wrote:

> The business never actually left NZ Post, the Telecom outlets were
> merely additional to the option of paying at NZ Post.

I was not aware of that. I had been paying my account at Telecom branches.

EMB

Carnations wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:41:32 +1200, EMB wrote:
>
>> The business never actually left NZ Post, the Telecom outlets were
>> merely additional to the option of paying at NZ Post.

> I was not aware of that. I had been paying my account at Telecom branches.

I lived 50km+ from the nearest Telecom shop at that time so the local
post office was the only option.

Enkidu

geoff wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> geoff wrote:

>>> Neat. Such vital infrastructure running on hobbyware.
>>>
>>> geoff

>> I have no problems with the use of linux - thats a great avenue to
>> pursue - its the mention of the use of google that has me more
>> worried...

> Unix maybe.

I don't think that there are any left are there? AIX? Niche market.
Solaris? Not really Unix. HP/UX? Fading fast. SCO? Hehehehehehe!

Cheers,

Cliff