Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Logging contents of IRC channel

Logging contents of IRC channel

devaru

I am new to Python. I want to log the activities in an IRC channel.
Any pointers regarding this would be of great help.

Paul Rubin

devaru <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I am new to Python. I want to log the activities in an IRC channel.
> Any pointers regarding this would be of great help.

http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../1356216.shtml

Jonathan Gardner

On Aug 31, 10:23*am, devaru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am new to Python. I want to log the activities in an IRC channel.
> Any pointers regarding this would be of great help.

How are you going to plug into the chat server to obtain the data?

How will you store the data?

The in between parts are really easy.

devaru

On Sep 1, 9:56*am, alex23 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 3:23*am, devaru <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am new to Python. I want to log the activities in an IRC channel.
> > Any pointers regarding this would be of great help.

> It would help us if you could explain why the answers weren't suitable
> that you were given when you first[1] asked this question...
>
> [1]:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....frm/thread/448....

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
@Paul Rubin: This is small experimental project and I assure you that
i will not invade anyone's privacy.

@alex23: My bad, I didn't check the solutions that were provided in
the earlier thread (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/
browse_frm/thread/448c0b476047f89.
I'll be trying out the solutions and let this community know.

Right now I'm using irclib.py.
@Jonathan Gardner: I would be connecting to an IRC channel through a
bot.
Storing data would not be problem. I'll either store it in a file or
in database.

Thanks everyone for the reply .